Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Morgantown Monday Mania

Poll: The Jayhawks will:

Stink up the joint and embarass us
1 5.3%
Lose focus and lose the game
5 26.3%
play well -- win or lose
9 47.4%
make a good showing (and win?)
3 15.8%
Just Win Babeeeeee!!!!!!!!!
1 5.3%
Total number of voters: 19
Only registered users can participate to this poll
  • Bayhawk
  • Bayhawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 3 months ago #15355 by Bayhawk
What say you?

RCJHGKU

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet
The following user(s) said Thank You: JRhawk, murphyslaw, Wheatstate Gal

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
6 years 3 months ago #15356 by Governors
www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2018...torm-the-court-upset

www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/new...8r4ivjr1d8rhwg12p0ap

It "appears" that someone might have to deal with some consequences.

Can we use the word "thug" now?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk, gorillahawk

More
6 years 3 months ago #15358 by murphyslaw
Yes.

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 3 months ago #15361 by Wheatstate Gal
It will not surprise me one bit if TX Tech gets punished for not controlling the court storming, and the WVU player was only throwing a punch to protect himself from that vicious mob.

Also, the Big 12 offices are probably closed tomorrow, so IF by some miracle WVU gets punished, IT will be LONG after KU leaves Morgantown.

Yep, got a chip on my shoulder today.

More
6 years 3 months ago #15363 by hairyhawk
Makes me really appreciate Jamari Trayler and his calm.

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
6 years 3 months ago #15365 by HawkErrant
Wottup with Jamari Traylor

Thought you’d like to know...

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk

More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #15379 by Governors
Oooooooo..............look out...............a full reprimand.................that will teach him. He is laughing all the way to the court tonight.

And TT.......a large fine.

How equitable.

The Big 12 Conference has issued a public reprimand of West Virginia's Wesley Harris, who struck a Texas Tech fan during a wild court-storming Saturday after the Red Raiders' victory over the Mountaineers.

The league also announced a public reprimand of Texas Tech University and a $25,000 fine against the school Monday.

Last Edit: 6 years 3 months ago by Governors.

More
6 years 3 months ago #15381 by NotOstertag
TTech was woefully unprepared for the storming. I'm guessing Tech will get some kind of punishment and that you'll see new "guidelines" on security. I personally hate court storming, but I think we Jayhawks look at it differently because our court should never be stormed. Still, when stupid young fans are allowed to get into the faces of stupid young athletes, there's gonna be trouble.

Unfortunately, I think court storming will be with us until there's a real tragedy. Not a "player punches a fan" tragedy, but a "freshman girl gets trampled and dies" kind of tragedy. More sadly, this is totally preventable.

Alas, as far as player/fan fights go, if it's on the court, the player will get the benefit of the doubt via a "self defense" claim. Likewise, if the altercation happens in the stands, the player will be liable.

Simple stuff folks: let the players have the floor, let the fans have the stands.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

• HawkErrant
More
6 years 3 months ago #15383 by HawkErrant
Governor’s comment contains the actual punishments the B12 laid on.

Got to disagree about player throwing a punch in any circumstance. Should always be a least a 1 game suspension, maybe more depending on the circumstance. In this case guy might have felt threatened but the video shows him as the aggressor, fan only jostled him. Nothing at all like the body slam Jamari Traylor walked away from at KSU.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

More
6 years 3 months ago #15385 by JRhawk
I agree with NotO. The Big 12 made it fairly clear that they want court-storming stopped. No storming, no punches. Agree that JT was exemplary in his situation.

• HawkErrant
More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #15386 by HawkErrant
I agree except for the punch thrower getting off with a reprimand. Unless it’s clearly in self defense, I think there should be a 1 game suspension minimum every time a highly conditioned athlete throws a punch at a fan, whether said punch lands or not. It is my understanding that a fan video of the storming does not give the player a self defense alibi. I have not seen the video myself, so if anyone has and believes differently, I’m willing to revise my position.

Last Edit: 6 years 3 months ago by HawkErrant.

More
6 years 3 months ago #15387 by JRhawk
HE - I haven't seen the video, but reading several comments on LJW who purport to have, I should soften my stance. The storming shouldn't have happened, but since it did, doesn't give players carte blanche.
RCJHKU

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 3 months ago #15388 by Wheatstate Gal
I’m trying to remember.......

Did the fans storm the court when Bud Stallworth hung 50 on Moo at his last game in AFH?

• HawkErrant
More
6 years 3 months ago #15389 by HawkErrant
JR - I just watched the video linked on the KUSports.com site.

The TT security team was trying to keep between the crowd and the WVU players, who were still at their bench. Wesley Harris somehow slipped passed the security people to be right at the edge of the crowd. It looks as if he turned to return to the bench when he was apparently unintentionally bumped into by a fan who was trying to get to the center mass on the court (at least that's how it looked to me, I've experienced worse in an AFH hallway from a fan not paying attention where he was going). Harris then turned and hit the fan, after which the security guys and his teammates pulled him away from the crowd.

The following user(s) said Thank You: JRhawk

• Bayhawk
  • Bayhawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 3 months ago #15457 by Bayhawk
Looks like two others and I have some "splainin" to do :dry:

Worse yet, I almost went to be early just after the half. Well, after an appropriate self-administered punishment for losing faith, I will return with a new and improved attitude about these wonderful young men (and some older coaches),

RC

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet

More
6 years 3 months ago #15466 by NotOstertag
I still blame the fans. Sorry.

Just like I've enjoyed it when fans get laid out running on the football field. I find it humorous. It's not where the fans should be.

Did the WVU player over-react by throwing a punch? Sure. Did he feel threatened by the fans? Maybe, and you'd never be able to prove it one way or the other.

Look, those guys lost a tough game, were obviously very frustrated, and the camera doesn't pick up what was being said, or how many other incidents led up to the punch. The reprimand was warranted, but that's where it should end. The entire thing is 100% preventable if you keep the fans of the floor and the players out of the stands.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

More
6 years 3 months ago #15469 by rainyhawk
Have to agree. I just watched the video and to me it doesn't even look like the TT person does much to the player other than brush by him. That player should have definitely gotten something (even though I too hate court storming). Don't think WVU players had enough self control--lashing out like that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

• HawkErrant
More
6 years 3 months ago #15482 by HawkErrant
Still disagee with you, NotO. Guess we aren't going to see eye to eye on this one.

For one thing, the football analogy is not a valid one, as the incidents I recall over the years occurred during games, and as one time Pro Bowl middle linebacker for the Baltimore Colts Mike Curtis one said, they step on the field and they have willingly entered the game, which, of course, includes getting knocked to the ground. Like you, I enjoyed that annihilation very much (and the guy was a Colts fan, but he did not belong on the field during the game). I do seem to recall an Oregon or UW player getting punished for hitting a fan after a loss a few years ago, but then, he was punished.

Having said all that, I don't disagree with you about fans should not be on the court, even after a game. And apparently so does the conference, given the punishment to TT for not having adequate controls in place to prevent court storming.

But limiting the player punishment to a reprimand is less than meaningless, and sends no message at all to any player except that they can get away with it. The security team tried to keep the players and fans separate, and yet there he was out by the fans. He put himself in that position. Fan brushes him and he retaliates with a roundhouse swing? These are very strong, well conditioned young men, he could really have hurt that fan. (One of my worst memories is seeing the carnage of a face torn apart in a fight). Whether it landed or not, he needed to sit a game to show that there are consequences for such behavior, and to send a real message to the rest of the players in the conference that such behavior will not be tolerated.