Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

So the guy deciding our players' fate is a WVU passionista?

• konza63
  • konza63's Avatar Topic Author
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
6 years 3 months ago #15266 by konza63
Perhaps this "tiny" little fact has been raised here already. If so, I apologize. But regardless, I smell a rat.

Meet Oliver Luck, who is the NCAA's executive for regulations and eligibility -- the office obviously deciding the fate of Preston and DeSousa:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oliver_Luck

WVU's former AD, a fervent booster, and former alum.

Note that WVU just had their player eligibility question answered favorably and relatively promptly, compared with KU.

No wonder Self is getting weary and tired of this, and if he's expressing that angst publicly, imagine how much more visceral it is behind closed doors.

KU is WVU's primary threat in the Big 12 this year, and arguably they are our biggest roadblock to besting UCLA for #14.

Maybe it's nothing, but I don't like the smell of this. At all.

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: newtonhawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
6 years 3 months ago #15276 by NotOstertag
I suppose if the answer comes on the heels of our trip to Morgantown next week, we'll have some confirmation.

This situation is now officially ridiculous.

Wouildn't the folks at DeSousa's school, which is a pipeline to college sports, have somebody on staff who's job it would be to line up all of the paperwork and background info to present the NCAA with a watertight stack of documentation to hand off to make sure the kid is ready and eligible to move on? Shocking if they don't.

With Preston, just make a decision already. They've got the report. Make a decision.

What's particularly frustrating to me is that this state of limbo must have a HUGE negative impact on practice and preparation.

On one hand, you have to be hopeful that they'll get cleared and try to prepare them in practice. But when the decision is held off yet again any reps they got in practice took reps away from the guys who ARE playing.

Finally, the REALLY frustrating part is that the NCAA is accountable to nobody. We can't vote them out of office, or appeal to a higher authority. Wondering if an online petition with a few thousand signatures on it would generate any negative press for the NCAA and get them to take action. There's a game tomorrow, and these guys will be in limbo at least another day when the team could be prepping a game plan based on the actual roster instead of guessing.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, newtonhawk

More
6 years 3 months ago #15283 by Governors
I got this. I'll make a few calls to the people I know here in Chapel Hill. They will happily fork over millions to help those poor student-athletes that are in need.

Seemed to work before, eh?
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, HawkErrant, Bayhawk, newtonhawk