Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Didn't know this about Newman

• AZhawk87
  • AZhawk87's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 3 months ago #15207 by AZhawk87
Reading Keagan's article today, it said Newman faded in his frosh year at Miss St. His scoring went way down, and he lost his starting job by end of season.

His play for KU is more consistent with his play at M-St, which may spell trouble for those of us who are hoping he's just slumping or slow to start.

I also think a kid who turns his side to the rim when shooting is not going to be accurate. He even does that with free throws and we know he's missed some key ones so far.

Come on Malik, we need you!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
6 years 3 months ago #15210 by DrJHawker
Not consistent but it was the most impressed I've been with him all season. Still holding out hope.

More
6 years 3 months ago #15214 by hairyhawk
Agree with both of you. I do not usually see guys who do not square up being the most accurate. On the other hand He was our best offensive player in this game IMHO. Svi was really good as well but I thought Malik sustained it more. Looking at the box score I would say Svi was a little better but with Devonte having an off night it was important for Malik to play like he did, 27 Pts. I was really impressed with the way Devonte who had an awful night shooting made the nice reverse layup and then the pull-up 2 pt field goal late in the game to keep us ahead.

More
6 years 3 months ago #15226 by mtnMan
Malik got some key, big time rebounds late. I didn’t know he was only 6-3. He will start against the kitties

More
6 years 3 months ago #15230 by NotOstertag
So much if sports is mental and based around confidence. Whether it's hoops, bowling, golf, baseball, or thumb-wrestling, if you're confident you're likely loose and more likely to have success. When confidence falters, you tighten up and are more worried about failure prevention than success. Success is more than failure prevention.

From my armchair head shrinker position here, it's quite possible that Newman lost a bit of his edge in his waning days in Mississippi, and it may have stuck with him. I think I can speak for everybody that if this is the case that we all hope that last night's breakout game has restored some of his swagger, and he'll become the guy that Self was gushing over previously.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: murphyslaw