Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

As promised

• murphyslaw
  • murphyslaw's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 3 months ago #15160 by murphyslaw
I am so proud of Mitch Lightfoot! He proved tonight that he is not just someone to give Doke a break. He definitely was not soft, nor was Graham, who made those last clutch free throws despite being knocked down hard at least 3 times. Svi's presence was valuable, too, especially during the first half. Oh, and I believe our rebounding was much improved, also.

This team proved that they can dig their heels in and be tough when it matters. The play at an away game against a good team--with the leading scorer in the conference--who was determined to win, showed flashes of what we've come to expect from Kansas basketball. (And BTW, Graham is the second highest scorer in the conference!)

Another thing I love about our team is that individuals take responsibility for their mistakes. So refreshing as I remember my least favorite player of all time who consistently threw the ball to
wait for it
NOBODY, and never patted his chest and said, "My bad!" (Can anyone say "Tyshawn Taylor?")

Go, Jayhawks, and let's start a new streak of Allen Fieldhouse wins!
The following user(s) said Thank You: sasnak, Bayhawk, gorillahawk, jaythawk1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
6 years 3 months ago #15164 by hairyhawk
Murphyslaw is very right on Mitch and Devonte. They certainly showed grit in that game. Though I do disagree on the rebounding as we were out rebounded significantly 42 to 28. We gave up 19 Offensive rebounds. Our leading re-bounder besides Mitch was Marcus. I really like the stat of points per shot attempt as I think it shows how efficient you are for your team on offense. In that game LeGerald had 8 points in 4 shot attempts which looks pretty good. The problem to me is he played 26 minutes had only 4 shot attempts 3 rebounds and 3 turnovers. It appears to me that he has been going through a Sophomore slump. To try to be fair to him he is playing out of position quite a bit. I hope is is staying healthy because he could use some more meat on his bones when he gets in the paint.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk

• murphyslaw
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 3 months ago #15174 by murphyslaw
You're absolutely correct about our lack of rebounds. I must have taken some short naps during crucial parts of the game!

More
6 years 3 months ago #15177 by JRhawk
No argument about Lightfoot's play and general team effort. Wondering to whom you are referring when said "leading scorer in the conference"?
Great win.

• murphyslaw
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 3 months ago #15181 by murphyslaw
That information was from my sister who said she heard one of the announcers say it. Since your post, I have been trying to find out who it was, to no avail. Either the commentator misspoke and/or I heard it wrong, because there seems to be nothing on the 'Net to back that up. My apologies for not checking facts before posting!

More
6 years 3 months ago #15182 by JRhawk
No problem - as I'm sure you found, Trae Young of OU leads the Big 12 (and the nation) in scoring. http://www.big12sports.com/fls/10410/pdfs/mbasketball/18MBBStats.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=10410
Have to scroll to page 5 for individual all game stats.

More
6 years 3 months ago #15186 by Hawknmo
So glad to see that the Garrett vs. Newman question has been answered. Malik is just not a very good team player and it appears that message is being sent. BTW, did we really have to bring up that other basketball narcissist? I had even thought about that guy for a while. Devonte is truly warrioring up for this team. A consistent 38-40 a game is tough but yet at the end, who is nailing his FTs? DG!!! Thank goodness for him too because if hes not hitting his the team avg is 65%. Yikes. I am also a bit puzzled by Vick’s mini slump lately. I am at a loss as to why he doesn’t drive more. All that athletic ability rarely makes it past the 3 point line. I was also looking to him this year to maybe bring some toughness. Get in a face or two. Not sure. He seems very passive. Clearly, this was the Lightfoot game. Until Big 12 refs get used to seeing a real 7 footer operate I think we better get used to 15-18 minutes a game for Udoke. Hes just enormous and unlike the 7 foot sticks Baylor runs out there hes solid. Smaller, lighter players will literally bounce off of him. But enough about refs, good on Mitch. I was seriously afraid he was going to get the “Mickelson Treatment”. And that was going to be bad for him and for this team. Got a little Christian Moody thing going on there. I like it. I for one would also like some more Cunliffe. Check his line. Guy only has 51 minutes. But if you project his minutes out vs. oh lets say…Newman, who has about 8 times the min played, Cunliffe would have 8 TOs, Malik right now has 25. Now I attended a KS public high school but last time I checked 8 was less than 25. If I were looking for some rest time for DG or Svi against a not so good team like ISU, I think I might let Sam have a go. Regardless, this was a much needed and well deserved win. Several guys stepped up and everyone played much harder. Hopefully this week will bring some much needed answers from the NCAA and those issues can get resolved one way or the other. Lets bring the fear back into the Phog this week and get two Ws before we head to Hooterville.

RKCKJHK!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: sasnak, gorillahawk

More
6 years 3 months ago #15190 by hairyhawk
I think Sam's problems are much more on the defensive end than the offensive end. I saw at least one time Devonte was trying to straighten him out on his defensive assignment during the TCU game.

More
6 years 3 months ago #15197 by NotOstertag
I saw the same thing comparing Sam and Malik's lines. Sam stands to pass Malik up in the rotation if Malik doesn't figure things out.

Great game by Lightfoot. The kid has always had a ton of heart and I never doubted his effort. He did hit a new level on Saturday.

Nevertheless, we're not out of the woods by any measure. Having ISU and KSU at home will be good for us, and I really hope we get the DeSousa and Preston issues settled. I WAS very concerned how we let TCU back into the game. This one was shaping up to be one of those "step on their throats" games and we neglected to do that. We came really really close to losing this one.

Also hoping (and have been expecting) to see more out of Vick.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

More
6 years 3 months ago #15200 by hairyhawk
I think what Murph may have heard as they mentioned it several times was TCU's Desmond Bane is leading the conference in 3pt fg% at 50%. I think he was over 50% going into the game and he was 3 of 7 in our game.

• murphyslaw
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 3 months ago #15201 by murphyslaw
Thank you so much, Hairy H! You are absolutely correct.

I had cancelled my brain transplant surgery, but now I think I'll reschedule. My wires do need to be straightened out.