Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Interesting to note

• murphyslaw
  • murphyslaw's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 3 months ago #15099 by murphyslaw
How out of balance the number of posts after wins and those after losses are. (I that I didn't post at all after our victories.)

Reminder to this poster: When we play well and especially come out on top, praise the team, the individuals, and the coaching staff.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, jaythawk1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• murphyslaw
  • murphyslaw's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 3 months ago #15100 by murphyslaw
"I SEE that I didn't, etc." Sorry 'bout that.

More
6 years 3 months ago #15110 by hairyhawk
This is absolutely true. I am a spoiled fan. We talk about 1 year not winning the big XII and that is unacceptable. I agree we should be quicker to praise them when they win. Hopefully it will be a lot more often.

More
6 years 3 months ago #15114 by NotOstertag
I think I try to be pretty forgiving with the guys, and I certainly don't live or die by our results, especially in the post season because I truly believe that the NCAA tourney is a crap shoot.

Nevertheless, two things are at play here:
1.) the streak. No, we can't take #14 for granted, but losing at home is a major no-no. Doesn't mean it CAN'T happen if we want the streak to continue, but it has to be a very rare thing, and to lose to Tech who are probably not one of the pre-season contenders for the regular season title is worrisome. Moreover, with 2 home losses, it makes you wonder how many MORE will happen this season.

2.) The guys looked terrible. It's one thing when a kid like Buddy Hield comes in and drops 500 points on you in a quadruple overtime game (or whatever it was), or even getting beat in a close game where your guys put in a full 40 minute 100% effort. I didn't see that on Tuesday. For the first 10 minutes they were sleepwalking. For at least the first half, the effort didn't seem to be there. It would be one thing if we saw guys diving for loose balls, or hustling after rebounds. While some guys WERE doing that, they all were wearing Tech uniforms. There was a noted increase in effort in the 2nd half, but you'd hope that it doesn't take HCBS tearing into them at halftime and giving them an idea of what practices were going to look like this week if they didn't respond.

I'd have been a lot more forgiving if there were any bright spots to point out. As it was, outside of DG and Garrett and maybe Dok (who needs to rebound more, but who is hampered by not having any backup), the rest of the guys looked lost and (worse) not engaged.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk

More
6 years 3 months ago #15137 by mtnMan
I thought Dok was still hurting and couldn’t really jump.

I’m more likely to read and post after wins.

Last night watched a so-so Colorado team beat ASU. Defense and hustle were the keys.

Without another big (or two), we are a one dimensional team. There are lots of Div 1 coaches who can figure out how to beat one dimension
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk