Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Preston

• JRhawk
  • JRhawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More

Share this page:

More
6 years 3 months ago #15087 by NotOstertag
That doesn't do much to quell my fears about the situation. Of course Mom thinks he's innocent. I'm sure she's also been advised (with Billy) to stay quiet on the situation and let the investigation run its course. Just like she and Billy were likely advised not to accept gifts (or cars) from anybody. So if she thinks she knows better than to follow the advice on staying off twitter, maybe she thinks she knows better about other things too.

Still hope he can get eligible, but it's gone on for soooo long now, you gotta wonder how much of an impact he can even have.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 3 months ago #15091 by AZhawk87
It might take me one day, at most a couple days, to provide KU with everything I have related to my last car purchase. My work pay statement and recent bank statement to show I make enough or saved enough to buy it. The loan document to show where I borrowed some money. And the purchase agreement showing it was purchased in my name. What else is there?? Maybe a report from Experian showing my credit score to support the loan I received?

The fact this has gone on for almost two months seems to suggest this was not just a mom buying her son a car.

Too bad that KU is again waiting for NCAA clearance on a player. This is becoming way too common for this program.

More
6 years 3 months ago #15096 by hairyhawk
I think she is correct that there is no reason for KU fans to be critical of Preston at this point. I am much more critical of the NCAA for dragging this out. If you are going to rule him ineligible do that and let him get on with his life. This dragging it out is what is so unfair to the kid. From all I have seen he has been a good team mate to the guys who are playing so I see no reason to criticize him. I guess I live in a bit of a bubble because I have not seen anyone bashing him.

More
6 years 3 months ago #15101 by NotOstertag
Nevertheless, it raised enough question that a.) Self benched him as a precaution, and b.) it's been a 2+ month investigation process.

As AZ points out, if it was cut and dry, he'd be playing. Lots of athletes have cars on campus. There's obviously something fishy in this case. Hope it's nothing, but every day that goes by, I lose confidence.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
6 years 3 months ago #15104 by HawkErrant

hairyhawk wrote: I think she is correct that there is no reason for KU fans to be critical of Preston at this point. I am much more critical of the NCAA for dragging this out. If you are going to rule him ineligible do that and let him get on with his life. This dragging it out is what is so unfair to the kid. From all I have seen he has been a good team mate to the guys who are playing so I see no reason to criticize him. I guess I live in a bit of a bubble because I have not seen anyone bashing him.

The NCAA has not been "dragging this out". KU's compliance office/lawyers were doing their investigating and did not submit their investigation results to the NCAA until the day NCAA HQ offices went on their previously announced holiday break schedule.

The NCAA reopened for business yesterday, Jan 2.

Given the high visibility of this case, IMO if they do not have an answer for KU by Friday we can start harping on them.

Until then, I think it is appropriate to be fair to them (even if they haven't always been fair to KU).

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk, murphyslaw

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 3 months ago #15106 by Wheatstate Gal
Ah....pining for the good old days when players like Scot Pollard's wheels were called "Marvin Martian."

IIRC.....it was a big old land barge, perhaps a convertible, horrible green color and Scot and friends drove around with the heater blasting....I think it was a convertible!!!!

Too funny. I'm sure athletes had better/fancier cars than Marvin.....but I do fondly recall Marvin....AND the crimson and blue nail polish.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk, NotOstertag

More
6 years 3 months ago #15107 by NotOstertag
Excellent point and it raises some interesting questions.

Let's confirm the process:

1.) Preston bashed up his car.
2.) Somebody within the KU program presumably then raised the issue about the car. I doubt it would have raised any red flags if it was a $1500 1997 Honda Accord with a bad muffler, or if it was a Ferrari but Billy's dad was Bill Gates. Nevertheless for whatever reason, this car raised a red flag.
3.) Since the NCAA wasn't involved, we can presume that KU's compliance office "investigated" and had a bunch of questions and information requests for Billy and his mom. It's also possible that KU's compliance office had recommendations for Billy and his mom (getting certain documents, etc.).
4.) Just before the holiday, having done its investigation and made recommendations, the compliance office submitted its findings to the NCAA for approval.

That last part is important because it's as if KU is approaching the NCAA saying, "here's what happened, here's what we found out, here's our recommendation moving, does this meet with your approval?"

With that in mind, KU knows EXACTLY what's going on, and it's highly likely that they've built a case that will attempt to get Billy back on the court. The NCAA can approve or disapprove KU's recommendation.

It also makes you wonder why Billy's mom is feeling victimized by the NCAA when in fact it was likely KU's compliance department that she had to "let into her personal life."

The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk

More
6 years 3 months ago #15108 by murphyslaw
Ah yes, I remember Marvin well! I didn't recall it's name was "Marvin Martian," but with Scott's sense of humor, I can believe it.

Thanks for the fun post. I miss Scott and his car and his personality a lot!

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
6 years 3 months ago #15109 by HawkErrant

NotOstertag wrote: Excellent point and it raises some interesting questions.

Let's confirm the process:

1.) Preston bashed up his car. ...

FWIW, my understanding from all I have read/heard on "the car" is that the red flag was raised at the time of the accident because the car Billy was driving was not the vehicle he had registered on campus. That may also be why there were problems in tracing the bonafides for the accident vehicle, i.e., it was not his car.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

More
6 years 3 months ago #15113 by NotOstertag
Great point, HE. Thanks for clarifying.

That raises yet more questions, doesn't it? If I'm one of Billy's buddies and Billy wants to run down to Taco Bell and I loan him my rusted out 1983 F-150 in exchange for him picking me up a couple of burritos, it's not an issue. On the other hand, if I "loan" Billy my fancy sports car....for the semester...and the car is registered out of state (Florida, wasn't it?) it's clearly questionable.

Seems the question is how/where does the NCAA draw the line between a "loan" and an impermissible benefit.

More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #15115 by Governors

Seems the question is how/where does the NCAA draw the line between a "loan" and an impermissible benefit.

kind of like drawing the line between "real classes, homework, papers, exams" and "fake classes to keep athletes eligible".

And yes, that decision still annoys me.
Last Edit: 6 years 3 months ago by Governors.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, gorillahawk, Wheatstate Gal

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 3 months ago #15117 by Wheatstate Gal
I have had a lifelong "problem" with things really bugging me over which I have no control. This situation is one of those.

I gotta let it go....but I won't. :-(
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, gorillahawk

More
6 years 3 months ago #15118 by Illhawk
It seems that , based entirely on public information, the car was purchased on credit with the Mom signing the note. Assuming that to be the case the gist of the eligibility issue seems to be whether Mom collateralized her sons projected earnings.

This gets messier if an agent or somebody at Addias or somebody with a nexus to KU cosigned either physically or via a nod and wink.

Non-athletes take out student loans totaling several years of projected earnings. But let a young man receiving a grant in aid do essentially the same thing and there are concerns.

The real problem is the archaic notion of what being an amateur means. Should going in hoc up to the eyeballs be an "impermissible benefit?"

More
6 years 3 months ago #15120 by big g
the rumor i keep hearing is that a former ku player is involved. hope thats not the case

More
6 years 3 months ago #15123 by Bayhawk
:huh:

RC

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet

More
6 years 3 months ago #15126 by RobS
Based on the UNC debacle, KU just needed to gather evidence that it is not uncommon among the general population of students to borrow cars from others and drive them around. They could then prove that this benefit is not exclusive to student-athletes and therefore it could not be a violation of NCAA rules.

Mongo just pawn in game of life.
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63

More
6 years 3 months ago #15127 by big g
no one in the program. surely something wld have leaked by now if true. on the other hand selfs comments have given the ncaa lots of room as if hes got some concerns. hopefully close to an answer

More
6 years 3 months ago #15128 by Bayhawk
I don't know who these people are or what they are saying, but whatever they say about the sheep is a damn lie!

:P

RC

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet