Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

I don't want to be Chicken Little

• DrJHawker
  • DrJHawker's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
6 years 4 months ago #15071 by DrJHawker
I don't want to be chicken little but when we are beaten in Allen by Texas Tech by double digits, it certainly feels like the sky is falling. We live by the 3 ball and when we aren't hitting them, it appears we don't know how to win against quality competition. We need the two big guys on the bench to qualify, and even if they do, I'm not sure it will be enough. I've got too much confidence in Self and KU when it comes to conference play to give up so soon, but tonight was deeply concerning.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, gorillahawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• replayloungehawk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 4 months ago #15072 by replayloungehawk
Yeah I don’t know how they go from how they played Friday to how they played today. Tech is good but not so amazing that KU should have looked as awful as they did.

I also don’t get why Newman continues to get the chances and not Cunliffe. Newman is awful right now. Cunliffe comes in and nails a three then doesn’t see more time until 10 mins left. Head scratcher...

Oh well guess we can’t win every game. There is a lot of season left.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk

More
6 years 4 months ago #15080 by CorpusJayhawk
Please, come off the ledge. This is nothing like the sky falling. Actually, things are shaping up pretty nicely from a statistical validity standpoint. Based on my latest updated DPPI, KU has now played 12 of 14 games within 1 standard deviation of expectation and in the last 6 games every game has been within a standard deviation and the average is about 1/2 of a standard deviation. The only real outliers are Washington and Oakland. This game is well within the expectation range. So what this all means is the DPPI appears to be converging or getting more accurate. The bad news is we are likely to lose 6 or 7 games in the Big 12 and finish 4th.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!

• DrJHawker
  • DrJHawker's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
6 years 4 months ago - 6 years 4 months ago #15081 by DrJHawker
Hi Corpus - Thanks for all of your hard work and statistical evidence but all it does for me is to confirm that indeed, THE SKY IS FALLING. If I were an Iowa State, Oklahoma State or Baylor fan you would have steadied my nerves. But for a Kansas fan accustomed to winning the Big 12 Championships and receiving a mandatory 1 or 2 seed in the NCAA tournament, a likely 8-9 loss season and finishing fourth in the Big 12 Conference is the sky falling.

My personal life goes on just fine, the sun will rise in the morning but when it comes to my beloved Jayhawks, OH, NO, IT'S TRUE, THE SKY IS FALLING!!!
Last Edit: 6 years 4 months ago by DrJHawker.
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, JRhawk, gorillahawk

More
6 years 4 months ago #15082 by hairyhawk
I think the game vs TT shows exactly what Big G was talking about. This team athletically is not very good. HCBS has done a very good job of hiding that and playing to our strengths. We really need Preston and De Sousa to physically be able to hang with a team like TT.

More
6 years 4 months ago #15086 by NotOstertag
Gotta agree with DrJ: love your data to death, Corpus, but there's not much relief for me in numbers confirming that we're going to be a middle of the pack team who finishes in the top half of the Big 12.

The biggest problem this team has is that our lack of depth gives us a lack of options. It seems that the only "optional looks" we have are subbing between Newman/Garrett and Dok/Lightfoot.

The only "good" things I can take from last night are:
>DG still has my confidence. Glad to see him try to get to the rim last night. He was obviously trying to put the team on his back, but it was just too much to ask.
>Interesting to see the "all small" lineup (no Dok or Lightfoot in the game) and 2/3 zone. HCBS needs to keep trying things since the aforementioned 2 options aren't enough.

As for what was "bad"....long list...too long. Some lowlights:
>"Hack a Dok" is a good strategy. Guy needs to start shooting FTs underhanded. Also needs to hold onto the ball after rebounds.
>Vick needs to play every possession. Last night it looked like he played 1 out of 4 possessions.
>Svi needs to get used to the idea that he's not going to the NBA. Questionable handle, and when he cools off from 3, he goes ICE cold.
>Newman: ugh. If we had the depth, we could sit him. He had a better than average game last night, but if I'm cringing every time he touches the ball, something's wrong.

About the only bright spot I see is Garrett. He's a freshman and will make freshman mistakes, but I really don't see "mistakes" as much as I see inexperience. He's going to be very very good.

Hoping that DeSouza adds some options and spark to things. If not, it won't take a genius coach to watch film from this game and see the blueprint for taking us down. Yesterday I commented that I think the game at WVU would be a good check to see how we play in adverse conditions. Looking at last night's game, I'm thinking we should just go ahead and forfeit that one and save the gas money.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
6 years 3 months ago #15089 by konza63
"Gotta agree with DrJ: love your data to death, Corpus, but there's not much relief for me in numbers confirming that we're going to be a middle of the pack team who finishes in the top half of the Big 12."

Ditto. In spades...

Is that where we are now, with KU basketball? Not only settling for the fact that we can't cut down nets (more than once in a very blue moon) in April, but settling for a mid-tier finish in the Big 12?

Count me out of that. And what I saw last night tells me much more than the numbers do. What it tells me is, absent De Sousa and Preston coming in and being studs who will quickly and consistently add major new interior weapons to our arsenal (and some freaking rebounding and toughness), there are easily 10-15, if not 15-20, teams in the land that can beat us with their talent, energy, and want-to.

I think our rotation is at its limit, and we need the cavalry reinforcements now more than ever. But the feet-dragging and lack of news on the latter has made this one of the most frustrating seasons in memory.

There is still hope, but it resides in getting reinforcements, and having them actually be able to contribute in meaningful ways (which at this late juncture of the season is an open question).

One final comment: folks can throw slings and barbs at Newman and Doke (free throws) and everyone else, but the fact is that if VICK chooses to completely not show up on a given night, given how critical it is for all 3 guards to at least be present, then we are hosed. That performance of his last night, in every single facet of the game, but particularly on defense, loose balls, and rebounds, was the most pathetic I have seen from a KU starter in my long memory. A truly horrible effort and game on his part, and it most definitely helped put a nail in our coffin. At least Newman played hard and brought energy...

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, JRhawk, gorillahawk, DrJHawker

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
6 years 3 months ago #15093 by konza63
One more observation, probably obvious but needing to be re-emphasized:

"Live by the 3, die by the 3."

This team, as presently constituted, will not win 6 tough games in March-April. Why? Because we inevitably are going to either run into a solid defensive team that negates our ball movement and 3-ball efficiency, or we go ice cold, or both, and that will be that.

We HAVE to develop more of an inside game. As presently constituted, we have one big (Doke, who I feel very sorry for) having to gallop up and down the court for an insane amount of minutes every night, with just an occasional spell by one sole player, who has good enthusiasm and energy but little offensive prowess. That won't cut it. Which takes me back to the cavalry/reinforcements comment earlier. Sadly, the timing and payoff of the latter itself is a very uncertain equation. We just have to cross our fingers.

The other thing we "might" be able to do better is attack the rim more. And that was one silver lining last night, in an otherwise very ugly KU attack. DG, in particular, was attacking, but Newman and Garrett also got in there. We have to have more of that. The fact that everyone other than Doke for KU has gotten to the charity stripe about as often as I travel to Alaska (despite my abiding love of the state) speaks volumes on this team. Gotta step it up there, big-time, and hope for the aforementioned reinforcements.

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.

• replayloungehawk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 3 months ago #15098 by replayloungehawk
What I don't understand is that things were looking up when we started going into Dok. He had taken 17, 7 (Omaha), 15 and 11 shots over the last four games. Last night he took 6. He still had 13 and 13 against a very very awesome player in Bamba. Last night he didn't do crap and no one was getting him the ball. The entire team was just off which makes me wonder if they were sick or something was off. Tech is good no doubt but in my opinion we still could have won last nigh but we didn't establish anything in the low post at all.

More
6 years 3 months ago #15102 by Kong
I think this goes back to what I said after the first loss and repeated. This team is not going to win by heart the way we have in the past. This team has to be efficient. If you look at all the sloppy turnovers, all the poor box outs, all the missed shots, it comes down to execution and efficiency. Even in a poor shooting night, if we were more efficient, we could have won this.

This team has a ton of upside, but very little margin of error.

If we make mistakes, we will lose. We have to be efficient EVERY game.

Visualize Whirled Peas
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, Bayhawk, gorillahawk, DrJHawker

More
6 years 3 months ago #15111 by Hawknmo
While I do agree that the sky is not really descending at a rapid rate there can be no denying it has shifted somewhat lower in the past few weeks. I am not altogether disappointed though. No, I do not want this or any other Hawk team to finish 4th or 5th in the Big 12. I am also not fond of watching AFH lose some of it’s magic. What I see as somewhat of a possible advantage is, the off chance that the ridiculous amount of importance on winning the Big 12 regular season might lose some of it’s luster. Would being one up on UCLA be cool? Sure. But in their run of 13 they had 8 national championships. Yeah I know the tourney wasn’t the same back then, but correct me if Im wrong, but no one has told them to take those banners down since the field went to 64 or 68? Point being, the conference record is great but winning in March (rightly or wrongly) has become the yardstick. I just don’t know that winning your league ensures post season success. As bad as I hate to even bring it up, I remember a certain PAC 10 team that finished 11-7 in their league that finished pretty OK in ’97. Sorry, just puked in my mouth. This team does lack some toughness. They need some motivation at times. Possibly, just being “that” team could lead to some serious post season hunger.

RKCKJHK!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: newtonhawk