Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Second verse, same as the first...

More
6 years 4 months ago #14792 by Kong
At least in some areas.

I said this after the Washington loss, "I still think this team has a ton of growth left in them, but they will have to win through efficiency more than willpower."

I stand by it. This team does not have that guy who will will us to a win like we have had so many times in the past. Self calls it a dog or that the team needs to be a dog. We don't have that. But what we do have is a lot of talent. If this team plays in unison and efficiently, they can be devastatingly good. They need to be able to adjust rapidly and as a unit or when the opposition makes its adjustments to our play, see ASU last night after the first few minutes.

Having said that, here are a few comments on the game

Svi's bizarre turnovers were killers.

Once again quick guards made us look silly.

Remy was amazing for ASU. Nice shot, great hustle.

Dok gets a silly foul and then tries desperately not to get another. I understand that, but the key is to avoid the silly fouls in the first place.

Right now, we are a streak shooting team. And that makes for an early exit come March. We have to move away from relying on the streak and talent and move to offensive and defensive efficiency.

Visualize Whirled Peas
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, Bayhawk, porthawk, newtonhawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
6 years 4 months ago - 6 years 4 months ago #14803 by Hawknmo
Its a simple equation:

Svi's bizarre turnovers were killers. + Once again quick guards made us look silly. + Right now, we are a streak shooting team. = that makes for an early exit come March.

But hey the good news is they will probably win a 14 th straight Big 12 title. Woo hoo!!!

RKCKJHK!!!
Last Edit: 6 years 4 months ago by Hawknmo.

More
6 years 4 months ago #14804 by NotOstertag
It think these guys got lulled into a false sense of security by beating a MIGHTY not so good Kentucky team, and then crushing some inferior opponents. Suddenly they're #2 and think that they're better than they are. Now with back-to-back kicks to the guts, I think everyone who may have been believing their own press reports is facing a new reality.

This is good. It's also good that they have almost a full week off before Saturday's game. Found it interesting that Josh Jackson commented that he was glad that he wasn't going to be at HCBS' practices this week.

The first part of solving a problem is recognizing it, and I think everyone involved now knows that things need to be fixed.

Personally, I think the best thing that can come out of the last 2 games is that it's a reminder that a 14th Big 12 title is nowhere near guaranteed. If Washington can beat us in Kemper and ASU proved that AFH isn't a guaranteed loss for visiting teams, you can bet that the rest of the Big 12 smells blood in the water.

More than anything, I want that #14, if only for HCBS. But it's certainly up in the air right now, and I hope they can use the last 2 games as examples of not taking anything for granted.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, porthawk

More
6 years 4 months ago #14809 by DocHawk
Agree that the last two games prove we're not unbeatable in the Big 12, but neither is anyone else. I think 5 loses may very well share the championship, and right now that is my upside goal for this team unless we are fotunate enough to get on a super hot shooting streak in the tournament.