Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

I like this very much

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
6 years 4 months ago #14791 by HawkErrant

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
6 years 4 months ago #14793 by Bayhawk
Finally some good news for a change! :)

Off topic: The Chefs beat the Faders yesterday,

RC

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

More
6 years 4 months ago #14801 by NotOstertag
Ok, "Negative Nancy" chiming in here:

I'm glad that he might be here to help sooner rather than later, BUUUUUT that also means:

>He has to prove that he's willing to work as hard as HCBS wants him to work
>He has to learn the KU system
>He has to get used to playing at the D1 level, which can take some time

So I don't see this as a "solution" as much as I see it as another warm body that's probably not 100% ready for prime time. And unfortunately, once we're in the conference season, it IS prime time.

One other thing that I see as a possible negative: if he's a one-and-done, he'll play half a season at KU in a year when we're probably not going to make the FF based on who we've got. I'd almost rather have him show up NEXT year and get at least a full season out of him.

Ok, "Negative Nancy" is going away now.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

More
6 years 4 months ago #14806 by Illhawk
I don't think he will either be a game changer for this years team or do enough to crack the lottery in this coming draft.

Playing and practicing , especially if he gets the minutes we thought Billy was getting, could have him ready to have a great 2018-2019.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

More
6 years 4 months ago #14808 by DocHawk
Unfortunately, according to Jesse Newel, KU coaching says DeDousa's ACT score is still pending and the tweet just represents personal optimism on his part. If he does get to come, another big body can't hurt and he would be unlikely to make enough of an impression to go pro after one semester. I'll still keep my fingers crossed. Probably more likely to get him than Preston.

• HawkErrant
More
6 years 4 months ago - 6 years 4 months ago #14814 by HawkErrant
His grades are really the critical issue right now. This test score is for his second taking of the ACT (I’ve read he did fine first time around) to try to get an even higher score just in case his grades do not turn out to be as good as he needs to qualify. Recall that the NCAA combines the two in determine eligibility, and the lower the GPA the higher the test score needs to be. If the guy is a sharp as I’ve read he is, the only real issue we need to worry about is the NCAA approving him for play before the Second Coming once his grades are in. I’ve read that ACT scores will supposedly be available Dec 15. Don’t know what sort of deadline IMG Academy teachers have to get their final grades in.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
Last Edit: 6 years 4 months ago by HawkErrant.

• HawkErrant
More
6 years 4 months ago #14816 by HawkErrant
And contrary to what I previously wrote, Matt Tait writes that the new SAT (not ACT) score is the key factor, and he/KU/we may know as early as tomorrow.

Just want the wait to be over (no more, and certainly less than Silvio, I’m sure).

www2.kusports.com/weblogs/tale-tait/2017...-for-some-silvio-de/