Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Will there soon come a time we are truly happy KU is a hoops school first...

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
6 years 5 months ago #14563 by HawkErrant
... and a football school as an afterthought? At least on the national stage?

It seems it could be a possibility.
Costas paints clear picture of crisis

And if college football is eventually demoted on a national basis as has happened to boxing, will the money not spent on football go to men’s soccer, swimming, tennis, volleyball, wrestling, gymnastics and rowing, none of which are currently available at KU?

This could totally change the national landscape of college athletics. It could also lead to the USA becoming a world leader in futbol and a regular World Cup contender.

Don’t get me wrong, I Love American football, and truly wish we had a good program again. But the more we learn about the safety issues of the sport, the more likely it seems it will eventually lose prominence in our culture, just as boxing has.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
6 years 5 months ago #14564 by NotOstertag
Football as we know it is in a very precarious position. So many negatives including but not limited to
>It's expensive to run a program
>Injuries
>Overall "meathead" attitude of so many of it's players

The injury thing, however, is hitting it very hard. Case in point: when I was a kid (I'm 49 now) it was not only acceptable but socially elevating to play football. People wanted to do it, and you got a certain amount of respect from your peers if you participated.

Fast forward a couple of decades when my kids were young. More and more parents kept their kids out of it for fear of injuries. Nevertheless, there were still plenty of kids and such parents were labeled "overprotective".

Now, we've crossed a tipping point (at least around me) where most parents won't let their kids play, and those "overprotective" parents are now equating parents whose kids to play as almost child abusers.

We've crossed a tipping point in many cases. The media has jumped on the bandwagon. Now, the feeder system of little kids who graduate into middle school, then high school is being choked off. In 10-15 years, the pool of experienced players will have shrunk dramatically.

The NFL is aware, as is the NCAA. It'll be interesting to see how this shakes out.

But let's not kid ourselves, basketball isn't safe. While we don't have the concussion issue, we need to thoroughly clean up our sport. The agents and all the pretense that college basketball isn't a profession for its players will ruin us if we let it. Not saying every program is dirty, but the bigger your program is, the harder it is to stay clean.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

• HawkErrant
More
6 years 5 months ago #14565 by HawkErrant
I agree with all you say, NotO, but would note that the issues with hoops are not ones that shut the sports lifeblood down at the starting point, the young player. I think that all the other sports will benefit from the problems facing football as parents wanting their kids to play sports (just not football) look to get them involved in other physical activities.

While college hoops definitely has issues that need to be addressed, and hopefully they will be sooner rather than later, the number of kids playing hoops will continue to grow as the population grows, so the "raw material" for the sport will always be there. And if football does end up getting legislated and boycotted away due to its issues, you can look for hoops at all levels to take up some of the seasonal audience slack resulting from the loss of football.

It will be interesting to see how American football's life cycle plays out... and what happens to all sports, not just college, if football goes away as a big time business in our lifetime.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

More
6 years 5 months ago #14568 by Senex68
You are delusional if you believe that football is in trouble. It's not. It may be slightly less important in some areas of the country, but it's still the most important sport in the places that count as far as producing football players is concerned. Like everything that once passed as 'entertainment,' millennials are looking at the phones instead of actual life, and that is a threat to everything, not just football. But the game is alive and well, and will continue to be for a long time. As for KU continuing to be the worst major college program in the U.S., it has to change. It's one thing to be mediocre, which we were for over a century, but under the current administration, we have become the laughingstock of college athletics. Ineptitude of this magnitude is incomprehensible to most people, but to us it is becoming the norm. I don't see it lasting too much longer. Even the clowns who are running our football program, including our alleged AD, will soon be looking for work. And they may be looking for a long time, especially if they insist on staying in the football business.

"When you have a ruling class that doesn’t believe in — or even much like — the fundamental values of the nations it rules, things tend to work out poorly.”

Glenn Reynolds

• HawkErrant
More
6 years 5 months ago #14573 by HawkErrant
Peter, the only part of your comment that I would disagree with is the very first two sentences.

I am not delusional. What I am is reading more and more by people that have been following sports professionally for decades about the issues pointed out in the article, and commenting on those issues and their potential impact.

Football may very well continue to thrive. But if the current conversations from those voices who are effectively "crying in the wilderness" at present become more and more fodder for the mainstream, and if the NFL players continue their protests and ticking off a large number of the population who disagree with the "appropriateness" of said protests (such as my lifelong Steelers fan brother who now refuses to watch them or spend any money that may get channeled to the NFL) , it may see some hard times ahead.

It may never happen, but the history of boxing and horse racing in this country -- once arguably two of the top three sports followed nationwide -- tells us that it's not impossible.

The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk, murphyslaw

More
6 years 4 months ago #14594 by Senex68
The sport that is in trouble is baseball. Football is as popular as a high school sport as its ever been, and it clearly still has its college audience. The NFL IS in trouble, however, which is certainly not surprising to me at all. The Commissioner is a fool, and the owners define hubris and self interest. The players are totally disconnected from reality, and make so much money that any attempt on their part to appear 'connected' to the underclasses in our society is a joke. At some point the professional component will suffer even more loss of viewers, and we'll see a re-balancing of the way the game is compensated and made available to viewers and listeners. But as a game, played by boys and girls from the age of 4 on up, it's doing just fine. And technology is making it safer, and will accelerate that process in the next few years.

"When you have a ruling class that doesn’t believe in — or even much like — the fundamental values of the nations it rules, things tend to work out poorly.”

Glenn Reynolds

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 4 months ago #14595 by Wheatstate Gal
All I know personally is that friend’s 11 year old grandson played on a football team in Lawrence earlier in the fall. He had pads, helmet, shoes....the whole 9 yards. The gear leads me to believe they were not playing flag football.

More
6 years 4 months ago #14599 by mtnMan
In an earlier comment in this thread, Senex68 wrote: " It may be slightly less important in some areas of the country, but it's still the most important sport in the places that count as far as producing football players is concerned." This is indeed the case. Football, at least at the collegiate level, is quickly becoming a Southern sport. A high proportion of the good players grow up in the south (including Texas and Oklahoma as part of the south) and they want to play in the good weather. The classic Big 10 schools can't keep up. Nebraska is struggling. Wisconsin may be an exception, but I'Im not sure they are for real. In the meantime, two powerhouse schools in the Top 15 are the University of South Florida and the Central Florida. I don't even know what cities they are located in. As football becomes increasingly southern, interest will wane elsewhere, especially as the health concerns are amplified. A local high school here in the mountains was not able to field a team this year because not enough players came out for the team. I know this is a trickle, but here in the mountains soccer is taking over. We'll see how this plays out, but I wouldn't advise a struggling football school to invest a ton of money in that sport right now.

More
6 years 4 months ago #14603 by NotOstertag
Football is clearly in decline, and there are any number of ways to measure it.....TV ratings, attendance, participation, and ad revenue. Not sure what other metrics there are.

Will it die tomorrow? Of course not, but the trend is clear. In the early 1900s bicycle racing (particularly on indoor velodromes) was a huge sport, and the original Madison Square Garden was built to accommodate it. How'd that turn out?

Football CAN take any number of corrective actions to reverse this, so who know how it will end up, but the current trend is directed straight toward 2nd tier entertainment.

As for baseball and other traditional US sports (mostly team ball/puck games), they're all being hurt by diversity as new sports are becoming more popular. There are only so many viewers out there, and 20 years ago, football was far and away what you watched on a Sunday in the fall. Now, you've got young people watching X-games, MMA, and any number of other things that either didn't exist or weren't on TV back then. You've also got 400 channels of programming, so if you DO want to watch underwater checkers, it'll be on somewhere.

I can tell you first hand that there are several high school football programs in my area that have folded. 9 college programs have folded since 2000. I expect that to increase which will result in some consolidation (big programs becoming more prominent), which will make the sport look stronger than it is.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, Bayhawk, mtnMan