Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Unique Win and other Random Thoughts

• CorpusJayhawk
  • CorpusJayhawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 6 months ago #14437 by CorpusJayhawk
I don’t have the data here at the office but I looked up last night after the game and the Jayhawks have won only 3 games in the last 30 years shooting worse than they did last night. While it is always tough to see such an across the board (save for Dok and to a lesser degree Svi) poor shooting performance, I am rather satisfied by the fact that we gutted out a win in this fashion. It certainly shows mental toughness, it teaches them that when the shot is not falling there is still a lot you can do like defense. Devonte’ had few stats that are worth mentioning other than in a bad way with the glaring exception of being the team leader that just gutted out a true gut check win against a very good and talented team. I am pretty at peace with it today.

As for Calipari, I am not particularly a fan. Self pulls the “we are not that great at this point card” but it is my assessment that he plays that card truthfully and to the degree that is realistic. Calipari, leading up to this game, was hacking at anyone who would listen that this team is not ready for prime time yet. I sure came across to me of prepping for excuses when and if they lost. Smacks of a hint of narcicism.

I am not so alarmed that we got destroyed on the boards in the 2nd half as I am amazed that we dominated the boards in the 1st half. I think we were better prepared.

Devonte’ is not Frank Mason. I wish they would ease up on the constant comparison. Two totally different players. Love ‘em both but they are not comparable in any stylistic way.

Svi’s biggest negative is he never lived into the crazy hype as Stephon Curry 2.0. That is not his fault. He brings a lot to this team and does if with some aplomb. I’m looking forward to enjoying his last season.

Newman needs to CALM DOWN!! He is clearly a talent and maybe the best on the team. His lack of aplomb is apparent mostly in his decisions. Talent...great. Decision..not so great so far. Shot selection, driving to the basket decisions, over commitment on defense. Just calm down dude. You are going to be great.

Vick is super active. It is fun to watch him off the ball. I ahven’t Fully figured his game out yet. Seems to like to drive baseline but not the lane. I’d even say in general he is better east and west than north and south. Wish he were about 15 pounds heavier.

My favorite part of Dok in last nights game is he simply played to his strengths. There is a lot to be said for players who just do what they are supposed to do. He is not athletic or quick as compared to the more athletic and quick bigs. So he played a game that does not put him at a disadvantage for being slower and less athletic. He used his size, his muscle, and his shooting abilities. Sort of like Landon Lucas in that regard. Just play within your game.

Garrett is a smart freshman. He clearly has keen anticipation and does not rely on speed or muscle alone. Lots of upside.

Lightfoot is someone who has loved KU since he was born and bleeds Crimson and Blue. But the light has not come on yet.

Self is not the same coach that came to KU. Not even close. He was far more coach by brute force when he came. His finesse is far more in balance now. Last night that was a difference maker.

Kentucky will win a lot of games. This is Avery good notch on the resume’.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, HawkErrant, Bayhawk, jayhawk969, porthawk, murphyslaw

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.