Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Random musings while basking in a win over UK

• NotOstertag
  • NotOstertag's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 6 months ago #14417 by NotOstertag
The Squid certainly got his guys ready for last night and it turned into a great game if you're a TV executive who wants people to stay up late watching basketball.

Games against top 10 teams this early in the season won't hurt if you lose, but they do pay benefits if you win. I am confident that Kentucky will have a very good season, and when the RPI and other computer models are utilized to determine tournament seeding, this win over Kentucky will be a helpful "good win" which we should be happy we have in the bank.

As for individual performances, I'm going to start with Dok. Wow what a game. Big guys like him who lack experience often get into foul trouble, and that really didn't happen last night which is HUGE. He had one early where he didn't go straight up going for a block, but it wasn't until about the 7:00 minute mark in the 2nd half until he picked up his 3rd. The box score says we got 34 minutes out of the big fella, which for a guy with his relative inexperience and the fact that he's a huge dude who didn't run into any issues with his stamina, is simply stellar. No, he can't shoot free throws to save his life, but if yesterday is a glimpse into what we can expect this season, we're very fortunate. He totally exceeded expectations and it was when we really needed it because......

What the heck, Billy Preston?!?! First game missed because of missing curfew and class....ok, kid learned his lesson. Missed UK due to something about wrecking his car???? Sigh. If I were going to give him the benefit of the doubt, I'd chalk it up to bad luck. Nevertheless the fact that the compliance office is checking into the registration of the car doesn't sit will with me. Assuming all is ok here (scratch "assuming" and change that to "hoping") I would hope that HCBS and Billy sit down, have a LONG discussion, and that we hear nothing more about Billy in the papers beyond the box score and/or him being nominated as an academic all-American. Stay out of the papers, Billy. Please.

You all saw the game, so just a couple of other short takeaways:
>Love Devonte and last night wasn't his best. I'm hoping that the comparisons to Frank stop and that Devonte doesn't feel like he has any shoes to fill. If he can play HIS game, we'll be just fine.

>Svi: he's been billed as a dead-eye shooter. I don't agree in the least. H's got good form and CAN shoot well, but I think he does his best when he's creating shots. Seems like if he's all set up for an open 3, he'll miss, but if he drives and puts up a floater, comes off a screen for a 3, or is in motion, there's a much better chance that he'll make the shot.

>Garrett: I'm pretty high on this kid. When he's in, he seems to do a lot of things right and ends up in the right place at the right time. Whether it's getting a loose ball, helping on defense, getting a rebound, etc. All of these small things add up. Very pleasant surprise.

As always Vitale was annoying, and I was also annoyed that the story that UK has a better record in the Champion's Classic than KU seemed to overshadow the more relevant fact that we've beat them the last two times we've played, INCLUDING on their home court last year. Finally, was I the only one creeped out a little when the female reporter was talking to the Squid and it became apparent that he was holding her arm a little tightly?

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, HawkErrant, Bayhawk, gorillahawk, boulderhawk, jayhawk969, newtonhawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.