Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

+/- Dok is the man!!

• CorpusJayhawk
  • CorpusJayhawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 6 months ago #14411 by CorpusJayhawk
Minutes: Devonte' played 39.0 minutes. The 5 starters averaged 35.1 minutes.
+/-: In his 34.5 minutes the Jayhawks outscored Kentucky by 12. With him on the bench the Jayhawks were outscored by 8.
Offense: Dok at 1.80 points per minute. It wasn't close.
Defense: Actually Garrett at 1.41 but Dok was a close 2nd at 1.45.
Margin: Dok by a mile. The Jayhawks outscored the Wildcats by .348 points per minute with Dok on the floor. He was clearly the man this game.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, sasnak, Bayhawk, gorillahawk, jayhawk969, KMT

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
6 years 6 months ago #14413 by HawkErrant
Numerical validation for what Hawknmo commented on earlier (and I'm sure many of us noted as well).

With Dok playing all those minutes, HCBS and the staff had to have had and executed a really great pacing regimen for him.
And also note -- he had only 3 fouls, with the last one coming with just under 18 minutes to go in the game. That was huge for him and the team!

I really wonder why Garrett didn't see more time in place of Newman. Self and staff must be seeing something I was not tonight. I was calling for Newman to be benched and Garrett in for his D and rebounding with about 15 minutes left in the game.

Just glad our guys won!

wOO HOO!

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk

More
6 years 6 months ago #14422 by NotOstertag
I'm most impressed that he didn't get in foul trouble and didn't run totally out of gas. Those are two huge accomplishments.

He's a load to guard. Still very green, but when he want to go somewhere, or when he wants to stop somebody from going somewhere, he's going to get his way. Loved the "sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug" comment last night.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

More
6 years 6 months ago #14428 by minerscoach
Spot on here! No one could have predicted that Dok could play effectively for that many minutes in a game against high quality athletes. His conditioning is so much better than last season, props to Hudy. Having him on the court is key to any run the team can make come tourney time. He truly is a monster.

I read on another board a poster bashing his mobility and comparing him to Ostertag. He may not be Embiid, but he is a young boy turning into a man. He never will be a thoroughbred, but he will be a force to contend with night in and night out due to his size. I'm sure if he was offered an 11 year NBA career like the Big O had, he would take it in a heartbeat. As would any of us.

He is going to be fun to watch as he develops in his time in a KU uniform.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant