Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

1st half thoughts

• Hawknmo
  • Hawknmo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 6 months ago #14404 by Hawknmo
Clearly this is a different team when Doke is on the floor. There will be nights Im sure Lightfoot, Preston, et al will have good nights but the Doke is a force. Teams will defend us differently with him on the floor.

Some wild shot selection from Graham I thought. Couple of lazy passes too. They work against Pitt State...not UK.

Newman looked much improved. Am I the only one that thinks he looks like Langford?

What am I most afraid of in the locker room? That HCBS is so excited about the rebound margin that he forgets we are only up by one.

By the way....this UK is going to get blown out a couple of times this year. The inexperience is glaring.

RKCKJHK!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
6 years 6 months ago #14407 by MountainHawk
I was thinking Aaron Miles rather than Langford.

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
6 years 6 months ago #14410 by HawkErrant
Other than your Newman comments, I agree with you.

I was thinking that Newman needs to learn how to finish.

He and DG were horrible on O during this game.
Most nights 3-14 (2-8 and 1-6 3pt) by DG and 4-14 (2-8 and 2-6 3pt) by Newman, our starting PG and SG, are going to result in losses.
I lost track of how many layups MN either missed or had blocked by UK players.

Thankfully they both came through in the clutch at the end, and so far this year UK can't hit the broadside of a barn from beyond 15 feet.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63

More
6 years 6 months ago #14414 by hairyhawk
I agree with you on the lazy passes and some poor shot selection but I think we are a better 3 point shooting team than we showed against UK. I hope we get the poor shooting out of our system quickly. I also completely agree on Doke. The team on the floor is completely different with him out there. I thought the big mistake our guys made when driving was not trying hard enough to get fouled. Kentucky was just way more athletic than we are. I think Vick was the only Jayhawk that could match them athletically. That is not including Doke because for him it is not athleticism it is just size. I think it was still a good win.

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
6 years 6 months ago #14418 by HawkErrant
Any win against UK is a good win.
B) B)

The 3 point shooting — we are going to have off games from the arc, just glad this one was survived. Our guys are definitely better from 3 than shown last night.

And you essentially reworded then restated my Newman critique — i.e., he needs to learn how to finish. His second half drives amounted to turnovers since he didn’t get the foul and had no safety valve to release to since he was all alone down court.

So, yeah — upon reflection, we are in agreement. B)

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"