Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Going for the record

• hairyhawk
  • hairyhawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 6 months ago #14192 by hairyhawk
This year we go for the stand alone record on top of consecutive league championships. I am not sure what others think the chances are of the Hawks doing it again. I really worry about the loss of Mr Jackson as he was incredible last year. We also had a truly elite point guard. Do we really have enough to overcome a very strong challenge from West Virginia and the rest of the conference? What do others on here think.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 6 months ago #14193 by Wheatstate Gal
I think we are going to really miss "Cool Head Frank." Although, I seem to recall when HCBS brought in some "servicemen" drill sergeant kind of guy(s) who said (I believe it was Devonte') exhibited real leadership skills.

His time has come.......it's your team now, DG.

wsg

More
6 years 6 months ago #14194 by Bayhawk
Magic eight ball says: "Outlook good."

--RC

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
6 years 6 months ago #14195 by HawkErrant

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
6 years 6 months ago #14196 by HawkErrant
PS - we can do it.
Think we will.
High hopes.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

• hairyhawk
  • hairyhawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 6 months ago #14202 by hairyhawk
I think this team will be very different than last year. If everyone stays healthy we will have a true big. I am not saying Landon was small but Udoka is very big. The problem as I see it is we still do not have a lot of bigs. HCBS as I understand it like to use 4 bigs. We only have 3 bigs on the roster that are available to play this year. That leaves someone like Svi playing the 4. Those are the issues I see on the inside. I do not know if we have anyone who can break down the defense like Frank. Devonte has been solid but not really a guy that breaks down the other team. We have not seen that out of Lagerald or Svi either so far I hate to depend on newcomers because I have not seen them play in college. I think next year may be a bit different in that regard because the Lawson boys have played some good college ball before. Hopefully we can keep a 2nd ball handler on the floor with Devonte because that proved to be very important to the offensive flow. I am really looking forward to the games because I know we will have good team. The questions really are how good can we be and how will coach get the pieces to mesh.

More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #14205 by porthawk
His ability to bail us out at the end of the shot clock or bad possession was huge. I think if someone's going to play that role in any capacity this year it could be Mr. Newman. But hopefully Devonte has improved in that area and my hunch tells me that Lagerald will be a much improved slasher as well.
Last Edit: 6 years 6 months ago by porthawk.