Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

KU coach Bill Self: ‘It’s been a dark week’

• gorillahawk
  • gorillahawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 7 months ago #14144 by gorillahawk
KU coach Bill Self: ‘It’s been a dark week’

“It’s sad. It’s been a dark week. And I hope it doesn’t, but all indications are it could get darker before it gets brighter. But I hope that’s not the case.”

Early Thursday evening, the Associated Press reported that KU was "conducting an internal review of its storied program."

Associate athletic director Jim Marchiony said that characterization was inaccurate and confirmed to the Journal-World that the school was "discussing the issue internally."

Some web sites went as far as to claim that KU had launched an investigation, but Marchiony said KU had not taken any such steps and was merely monitoring the situation and discussing the news as it developed."

< www2.kusports.com/news/2017/sep/28/ku-co...eek/?mens_basketball >

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
6 years 7 months ago #14153 by konza63
Just owing to the college coaching fraternity and the national scandal, or because it's dark inside the KU inner sanctum because this could hit KU? Anyone have a bead on the context of his comments?

It's shoddy journalism if you ask me--to put that out and not have had context or asked critical follow-up questions.

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk

• gorillahawk
  • gorillahawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #14154 by gorillahawk
The actual article is not as "dark' as my crude Cut & Paste teaser...Sorry......Self actually focused on fixing things, etc....for those who don't read the worthwhile whole article hears a better expansion of the quote:

“It’s been a dark week, there’s no question, but I’m not sure that it (won’t) trigger things that will make this better,” said Self when asked if he thought this week was the start of some kind of reform, regardless of what the solution turns out to be. “It’s not gonna be in the immediate future, but there’s been some things that have obviously transpired that will create talks that allow our sport to become better in the future. I just hope the future’s soon as opposed to down the line.

“It’s sad. It’s been a dark week. And I hope it doesn’t, but all indications are it could get darker before it gets brighter. But I hope that’s not the case.”

read the whole article...he said a LOT more :)
Last Edit: 6 years 7 months ago by gorillahawk.
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, HawkErrant