Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Svi is coming back!

• DrJHawker
  • DrJHawker's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
6 years 10 months ago #13725 by DrJHawker
I'm glad and it's going to be fun to see this 2017-18 team develop.

www2.kusports.com/news/2017/may/24/svi-m...l-return-senior-sea/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
6 years 10 months ago #13728 by JhawkMom
Just read it online. Great news for KU. I'm sure he will have a great year and have a great chance in the draft next year!

Only5 more months to go!!!!

• DrJHawker
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
6 years 10 months ago - 6 years 10 months ago #13729 by DrJHawker
When Coleby said he was transferring, I had a strong suspicion Svi would return. Self always has a way of making things work out just right on his roster.

So what will next year look like?

Dok, Svi (or Vick) Preston, Newman and Graham should be starting. Vick (or Svi), Lightfoot, Whitman, Garrett (Cunliffe second semester) coming off the bench. In any case, there are plenty of minutes for Svi.

With Cunliffe we are very deep at the 3 but I believe Svi, certainly Vick or Cunliffe could all play the 2 (Newman getting some minutes at point) and Svi or Vick could play the 4 to change things up with a four guard lineup. The Hawks are heavy on quality backcourt players, while the front court is a little thin. I see Cunliffe playing valuable minutes but not being a regular until the following season. The same, and even more so with Garrett (but very good to know he is there if needed). Hoping for Preston to play like the top 10 recruit he is and for Dok to give us a full 25 minutes a game. Then Mitch and Whitman can provide needed minutes off the bench. In any case, I see Svi's return as making us much better. I like our chances for winning the Big 12 and entering the Tournament as another 1 or 2 seed.

Living in Colorado, I am never in hurry to move through the summer but it will be fun to see how things shape up after Late Night. Rock Chalk!
Last Edit: 6 years 10 months ago by DrJHawker.
The following user(s) said Thank You: murphyslaw

More
6 years 10 months ago #13730 by NotOstertag
This is great news and I think it's the right call for Svi (in addition to being great for the program).

Svi wasn't projected to be drafted, so coming back will give him an opportunity to improve his chances. He'll have a bigger leadership role on the team as a senior, which will give him more time in the spotlight. It's almost unthinkable that he could hurt his draft ranking, and worst case he stays where he's at and picks up a degree and another year playing in the limelight.

Hurting his ankle at the combine certainly cost him some opportunities to show off his skills, but the pro scouts already have a thick file on him. What's really great for him is that he's had a chance to interact with these guys and knows what he needs to improve on. With a kid as smart and hard working as him, I'm sure that, along with the experience of going to the combine and participating in the whole process, will only make him that much more prepared for next year's draft process.

Kudos to Svi for making a solid decision, and thanks for giving us fans something else to look forward to next season.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: DrJHawker

More
6 years 10 months ago #13734 by JRhawk
that Svi is coming back. For those lamenting the 5 months till Late Night (hello Jayhawk Mom), don't forget about this summer's trip to Italy for 4 games. http://www2.kusports.com/news/2017/mar/08/italy-here-come-kansas-jayhawks/

More
6 years 10 months ago #13735 by JRhawk
Meant to add this to previous msg - for some reason I thought you lived in Lawrence. I hear you about not wanting to shorten the Colo summers - especially this year with mid May snows - I can see Pikes Peak from hear and looks very snow-laden. RCJHKU

• DrJHawker
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
6 years 10 months ago #13740 by DrJHawker
I love it when Pikes Peak is covered in snow and it's 70 degrees and beautiful in the Springs. Early summer and fall are my two favorites times of the year here. Of course in late May and early June, you have the added benefit of knowing we have a few months of amazing Front Range summer weather ahead of us. In Lawrence you have to deal with heat, humidity and mosquitoes. :-) Good to have a fellow Colorado resident on the board. Miss the CU/KU games in Boulder.

More
6 years 10 months ago #13742 by JRhawk
Amen to missing the CU/KU games in Boulder. Except for the NCAA tourney the last few years, the games in Boulder were the only ones I attended. Although a native Kansan, have been in Colo since 74 (except for 3 years in Europe). Must admit the summers here are a lot more pleasant.
With Svi's return, am getting hopeful about next season. Would be sweet to win the NC again in San Antonio.
RCJHKU

More
6 years 10 months ago #13747 by porthawk
Why Svi Mykhailiuk's decision to stay at Kansas is an even bigger deal than some may think
www2.kusports.com/weblogs/tale-tait/2017...ecision-to-stay-at-/

Bill Self wants to see a more aggressive Svi Mykhailiuk during senior season
www2.kusports.com/news/2017/may/25/bill-...iuk/?mens_basketball

Teammates pushing for playing time can rev Svi’s motor
www2.kusports.com/news/2017/may/25/tom-k...ev-/?mens_basketball