Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Transfers - Player decision or coach decision?

• AZhawk87
  • AZhawk87's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 11 months ago #13563 by AZhawk87
Transfers, transfers everywhere. It has been discussed whether coaches "push" players out of a program to make room for recruits or transfers. Many comments say that is wrong or taking advantage of the players.

If a coach is forthright with a player that the player is unlikely to see much playing in the future, and suggests he may want to look elsewhere, is that wrong? Or is that looking out for the best interest of the player. Of course the team benefits, but the player could as well.

I guess if the player wants to stay, ride the bench and get his degree, but the coach forces the kid out, that would be wrong. But I don't see an issue with a coach being honest with a kid and telling him he isn't going to play and should consider transferring.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, murphyslaw

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
6 years 11 months ago #13568 by NotOstertag
I think it's a case-by-case and coach-by-coach decision.

For example, I don't think HCBS pushed Conner Frankamp out, I do think he was probably honest about how much playing time he'd get, and that didn't work for Conner or his dad, so they pulled the plug.

Another case: Carlton Bragg had a fairly rough season both on and off the court. It's entirely possible that HCBS may have told him both parties might be better off parting ways. I have no way to prove that of course, but in some cases where a player simply isn't happy a coach might even assist in helping him find a better fit.

Finally, some guys will be told "you're probably going to be riding the bench next season" and will look to get somewhere where they'll see some playing time. Others will react thinking that riding the bench in AFH is a pretty good gig.

In all cases, I'm pretty sure that once a scholarship is awarded, it can't be pulled back due to poor play on the court.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: murphyslaw

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
6 years 11 months ago #13590 by HawkErrant
You are correct, NotO, a ride cannot technically or legally be cut short due to poor play.

However, we all know that if a coach really wants a kid gone, he could make life such that the kid opts to leave. I remember reading some time ago, that squid has done this at kensucky in the past. I do *not* know how accurate that information was, but I do remember reading it.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"