Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Mykhailiuk to enter NBA Draft without an agent

• gorillahawk
  • gorillahawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 2 weeks ago #13456 by gorillahawk
Mykhailiuk to enter NBA Draft without an agent

< kuathletics.com/news/2017/4/12/mens-bask...m_content=1492019337 >
The following user(s) said Thank You: murphyslaw

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 2 weeks ago #13458 by Wheatstate Gal
Well.....since the NBA isn't known for the lock down defensive play......

Just sayin'......

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
7 years 2 weeks ago - 7 years 2 weeks ago #13459 by HawkErrant
True enough, Wheaty. Still --

This move does not surprise me.
If HCBS keeps recruiting hard for two more spots instead of one, that will be a big sign he's gone.

But, my understanding is that this will be a very deep NBA draft, so I will not be surprised when Svi announces he is withdrawing and coming back for his senior year... which I think is the right thing for both him and KU.

Time will tell...

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
Last Edit: 7 years 2 weeks ago by HawkErrant.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk

More
7 years 2 weeks ago #13460 by NotOstertag
My thoughts exactly, HE. The key thing right now is "without an agent". If that changes, then it's adios Svi.

I know that this year (or maybe last) they tweaked the rules to give more kids an opportunity to test the waters and tentatively enter the draft, but withdraw without any penalty, as long as they didn't hire an agent. So essentially, some of the pre-draft combines and workouts are just a big "job fair" for some of these kids.

Svi's a smart kid, and I don't think he'd leave unless he felt very confident that he'd get a guaranteed deal. So if his "dipping his toe in the water" shows him (as it should) that he's not a likely 1st rounder, then returning to KU has very little downside, and plenty of upside. He comes back and finally delivers at the level we've all been told he CAN deliver at and goes in the 1st round next year, or he tops out at his current level and goes to play in Europe and does just fine.

That's the big question mark: Europe. For an American kid, it's probably somewhat daunting to consider playing overseas. For Svi, it's no big deal and actually might be preferable to get a solid contract in Europe (with eyes to eventually come back to the states), than to try to get signed in the NBA as a free agent, or wind up in the D-League.

Of course, I hope he stays and has a breakout year.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, gorillahawk, murphyslaw

More
7 years 2 weeks ago #13462 by JRhawk
I look for him to be back. I imagine there are several versions of mock draft around. I have no idea how good a track record any of them have, but here is a link to DraftExpress's http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2017/
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk

More
7 years 2 weeks ago - 7 years 2 weeks ago #13469 by porthawk
Svi and Graham are listed 29th and 32nd, respectively in the 2018 draft according to Draft Express
www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2018/

Here are some videos from Draft Express that talk about each of their strengths and weaknesses.

Svi (videos are from the start of '15-'16 season -- so a bit older)
strengths: www.draftexpress.com/video/12017/ and weaknesses: www.draftexpress.com/video/12016/

Graham (videos are from start of this past season -- '16-'17)
strengths: www.draftexpress.com/video/12430/ and weakness: www.draftexpress.com/video/12429/
Last Edit: 7 years 2 weeks ago by porthawk.