Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Transfers. Some questions

More
7 years 2 weeks ago #13452 by Kong
I know that times are changing and things are not what they once were. That One and Dones roam the landscape like T Rexes of the past. That transfers are abundant like flocks of migratory birds.

But it seems to me like we are getting a rather large number of transfers. Certainly compared to other blue bloods. I feel more like Gonzaga than Kentucky or UNC. Does anyone know how many we have received over time? Specially compared to other top tier teams.

And if you have it a list of the transfers in/out. I know that I have really liked a lot of our transfers, I just don't remember their being this many.

Visualize Whirled Peas

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
7 years 2 weeks ago #13454 by NotOstertag
I think it's on the uptick everywhere, although I haven't studied it in a KU vs. other Blue Blood programs perspective.

I know that the option to graduate early and then transfer while retaining eligibility has changed things (how we got Tarik Black, and how Andrew White III went from KU to Nebraska to Syracuse.

Honestly, when a kid transfers, I can't say that I've been that negative about it. Bragg certainly had some issues finding his place here, and getting along. In most other cases where a kid has left KU, there's been enough baggage involved that I haven't lost much sleep over it. In the end, the program is bigger than any player, so if a kid doesn't want to or can't fit into the program, I'm ok with them heading out. If anything I think it reflects well on HCBS and KU.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: murphyslaw, Wheatstate Gal

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
7 years 2 weeks ago #13457 by HawkErrant
I have read estimates that over 700 players will transfer this year, elsewhere an increase of at least 100 over last year, which supposedly were in the 600s.

Transfers can work well for both the program and the player. Witness Andrew White III as just one example - started with KU, transferred to NU, then graduate transferred and starred at Syracuse this past season.

Best Transfer list I have found is on Verbal Commits. I mentioned it a while back in a post on the pinned Recruiting thread. Link . Be sure to page down from the "Recent Updates" section to the "Complete Transfer List" section to get the most complete info on all but the latest additions to the list.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
7 years 2 weeks ago #13475 by HawkErrant
An excerpt from the VerbalCommits.com transfer list.
All selected are immediately eligible PF or C
Stars	Pos	Name		Class	Ht	Wt	Imm. Eligible	Previous School	New School
4	PF	Mark Donnal	RS JR	6-9	240	Yes		Michigan	
3	PF	Alex Foster	RS JR	6-8	230	Yes		Bradley	
2.3	PF	Zach Coleman	RS JR	6-7	200	Yes		Massachusetts	
2	PF	Hans Brase	RS JR	6-8	231	Yes		Princeton	
2.7	C	Matthew Atewe	RS SO	6-8	240	Yes		Washington

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"