Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Random Thoughts from a cluttered mind...

More
7 years 1 month ago #13170 by Kong
I said early on that I didn't see much room for growth as compared to other years. I think the season showed that to be mostly accurate. I would guess that our consistency numbers were quite high with little variance all year. We had individuals grow, but overall our team played at a high level all year long.

It was an absolutely wonderful year to watch. All those close games, Frank Mason, Jackson, etc. I really enjoyed watching this team each and every game.

13 straight Conference championships!

Frank's career and Sr year were an absolute joy to watch for this fan. He may well be my all time favorite. With all the stuff happening off the court, not once was his name mentioned and on the court, not once did you doubt that you would get his best. Truly a fine representative of KU.

Lucas was his usual solid self. Maligned from time to time, but we don't get as far as we did without him.

The NCAAs. What can you say. I was almost ready to say I was wrong about this teams potential when I saw the first three games. That Purdue game was about as good as it gets. Though I do remember towards the end saying that we needed to save some of those shots for the next game.

The elusive Elite Eight for KU and Self. I thought when he won the championship in 2008, that things would be different. They weren't. I never fear the first day. He generally has us very prepared for it. Hence I was not worried about Purdue (though I didn't think it would be that one sided) as I was for the second game.

Oregon is a good team that played at their best. Their zone confused us a bit and their shot making was incredible as time was winding down. We were out of sorts and Graham missed shot after shot. The difference in scoring was very small. A lot of our shots would rattle the rims and bounce out. Theirs would rattle around and bounce in. Jackson's early foul trouble didn't let him get settled in the way he always seemed to need to. Missed shots and swarming defense by Oregon caused us to take marginal shots instead of good ones. Oregon played great. Blocking shots, rapid defensive swarming, great and crisp movement on offense, shot after amazing shot...

But with around 3 minutes left, it was a 6 point game. Think about that. As good as they were playing and as bad as we were playing, we still had a shot at it. That is how tough Frank Mason and the rest of the team was. Mentally they were clawing back from what may be their worst game statistically of the season.

Short turn around against elite talent and coaching is tough. But other teams seem to do it. Wish we had a better record in the Elite Eight, but love the fact that we are in the hunt EVERY year and wouldn't trade it for anything.

This was a fantastically enjoyable year to watch KU basketball and one of its best products in Frank Mason.

Visualize Whirled Peas
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, HawkErrant, JRhawk, sasnak, Bayhawk, LadyHawk, gorillahawk, boulderhawk, jayhawk969, porthawk and this user have 8 others thankyou

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• texkan
  • Ring my Bell, if you can find it! ;)
More
7 years 1 month ago #13190 by texkan
...oh how i visualize my peas sticking to a butterknife coated in honey. w fried chicken, mashed potato's n gravy, warm biscuits on the side; to be followed up by bowls of J - e l l O! thank you, texkan and family :P
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk, boulderhawk, jayhawk969

• texkan
More
7 years 1 month ago #13221 by texkan
...i forgot to mention this delightful meal would be at the Grinter Place (?) near Edwardsville, overlooking the Kaw, on the bluff above the river. Anyone else remember???? thank you, texkan and family :P

plus original Texkan family ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: jayhawk969

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #13222 by konza63
I remember the Grinter House very well, TexKan. I grew up going to the old Grinter Methodist church a couple miles away, and my grade school (Stony Point South) was 1 mile away.

I toured the Grinter house several times and went to some events there, but I don't recall ever eating that kind of scrumptious country dinner there. It was and is a treasure of that area (one of the earliest homesteads in all of Kansas), and you brought back good memories. You also made me very hungry! :-)

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
Last Edit: 7 years 1 month ago by konza63.
The following user(s) said Thank You: texkan

More
7 years 1 month ago #13227 by NotOstertag
I've been away for a few days, but not for reasons related to basketball. My local school district is facing severe overcrowding and I have been heading up a citizens' committee to get an $80 million bond passed to make necessary improvements. If you think the old KU/Mizzou rivalry was something, you should see what goes on with local politics where I live.

I'm happy to report that our group was able to push through and get the voters to approve this bond by about a 1% margin on Tuesday night. So when KU went down on Saturday, I immediately got on finishing this other "contest" where "winning" will actually have a real and long-lasting positive impact on my community. So my sadness for our team was tempered mightily by the hard-fought win that I spent 2 years working on.

That aside, I was bummed with how terribly we played on Saturday after 3 rounds where we looked unstoppable. Going to be hard to see Frank and Landon go. I'll miss Josh too, but there's just something even more special about the guys who stick around for 4 years. There are still some pending awards out there that I think we'll see come our way...Self in the HOF, Mason as POY...maybe some others. Won't replace a ring, but certainly a better consolation prize than most teams get.

One thing that occurs to me is that while I understand the critics that are convinced that Self underperforms in March, I think part of this is because the expectations are so high based on our success. Duke, Kentucky, North Carolina...all of the bluebloods have missed the tournament since Self has been at KU, while we've rattled off 28 straight appearances (all of Self's teams made the dance). Moreover we've been seeded highly every time. Since Self has been here, we've been seeded 4th twice, 3rd twice, 2nd three times, and 1st SEVEN times (two of those the #1 overall seed). That's an average seed of 1.9....so BETTER than a 2 seed. Is that underperformance? I guess you could call it that. On the other hand, we've had a whole lot more OPPORTUNITY to screw up than anyone else out there.

As for me, hoops season is effectively over. I hope UNC loses, because having them succeed while the NCAA continues to fail us all regarding the UNC paper classes scandal just pours acid into an open wound.

Looking forward to seeing the remaining awards roll in. Hoping that Devonte decides to come back for his senior season.

Rock Chalk.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

• texkan
More
7 years 1 month ago #13229 by texkan
...enjoy the read. thank you, texkan :P

< www.kshs.org/kansapedia/grinter-place/11831 >
The following user(s) said Thank You: hairyhawk