Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Faded memories.....

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Wheatstate Gal's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 1 month ago #13164 by Wheatstate Gal
Roy Williams was the coach at KU from the 88-89 season thru the 02-03 season. He went to the final 4 4 times; twice to the championship game with no titles. (remember "stank'em" and I don't give a dad-gum about North Carolina?) Roy is HOF.

Bill Self has been coach from the 03-04 season thru current. He has been to the final 4 twice, the championship game twice with one national championship.....something good ol' Roy couldn't do at KS. Bill will be HOF.

Thank you, Captain Obvious.

Just saying, yes, it is irritating. But for some reason this one doesn't hurt me like some have. There have been some DEVASTATING losses (yes, I know it's college basketball). Maybe because it's Oregon, and they aren't quite as obnoxious as some other teams -- although the highlighter/day-glo green and/or yellow IS obnoxious. Even tho I had the "lucky watch" on all day.....I was so afraid we had been riding so high and playing so well that we had to have a letdown.....letdown yes, collapse? No.

Whatever, I respect ALL of your feelings and opinions on the BB board. I will never "fondly" look back on the end of this season.....but, dang we have some pretty darned good memories--and a couple of mid-season stinkers.

I will be DEVASTATED if #BIFM doesn't get the remaining NPOY honors!

Have a good week and Rock Chalk!
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, HawkErrant, Bayhawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
7 years 1 month ago #13181 by sasnak
I never had terribly high aspirations for this team after Dok got hurt. Landon does well in some areas but he just ain't tough enough. Even my boss pointed out that our center was soft as was theirs ( Arizona). I think Bill did great things with what he had but even Frank couldn't get us to the promised land if everyone wasn't hitting. To be honest, I was surprised we got past Purdue and after that game was a little more hopeful.
I am still sick of the one and dones and building a team around them. So many times Josh went down and had 2 easy points waiting for him and he'd go for the big slam/dunk and blow it. It got old. He IS very athletic and can be fun to watch but the maturity level just isn't there.

As to Oregon not being obnoxious, there I will have to differ with you. I think after I read the 'chickenhawk" reference from the coach, I decided he was a classless jerk but not surprising considering where he coached. I did enjoy where Josh did a flop off of Dillon Brooks and did it skillfully enough to draw the foul. I thought that was justice considering Brooks' worst flop ever.

I can appreciate that UNC beat Kentucky but that's as far as I want them to go considering the scandal that is just sitting out there rotting. I can hope for a Gonzaga or SC win because I have enjoyed Frank Martin for years.

It'll feel better when it stops hurting
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, Wheatstate Gal

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Wheatstate Gal's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 1 month ago #13187 by Wheatstate Gal
Hi Sasnak.

I don't consider Altman any more than I give consideration to pig slop. I was speaking personally (and I was not clear) that of the Oregon fans I know.....they are less obnoxious than many fans (and OH Good Grief, do I know some OBNOXIOUS fans!!!).....in fact the few I know are absolutely thrilled that after 400 years they are back in the final 4, and feel they are so lucky to have gotten by Kansas. They are alums.....not huge BB fans.

I let them think they were "lucky." ;-)

I still find it unbelievable that the UNC academic scandal continues to fester and rot.....the stench is so overpowering, yet the NCAA continues to walk around with a clothes pin on it's nose....

I see where the Squeak-ster is still employed in the little apple.....that's good. 2 more wins toward #14!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant