Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Next year!

• JRhawk
  • JRhawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 1 month ago #13129 by JRhawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #13131 by porthawk
Hey JR! Thanks for the link, but since it's an Insider article, we can only see the potential starting five. Anyway you can post a summary.
Last Edit: 7 years 1 month ago by porthawk.

• JRhawk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 1 month ago #13132 by JRhawk
Bummer - forgot about that. Next has losses - Frank, Landon, & likely JJ. Next who is added - Billy Preston (said few as good as he is), Marcus Garrett (Texas Gatorade POY), plus Newman and Cunliffe (2nd semester). Still involved with Trevon Duval. Said the return of DG will be key. Said need more out of Vick and Bragg. Said until someone takes them down in Big 12, is impossible to pick against KU. In retrospect, wasn't anything really new, but some good words about the newbies.

More
7 years 1 month ago #13133 by porthawk
Thanks. And yes, I think DG returning is the key. If he (and Svi) come back, I think we're in really good shape...even if though will miss Frank greatly.

More
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #13137 by DrJHawker
I have high hopes for Newman next year. He is a scoring machine and if DG is the point, it frees Newman up to do just that. After this game, it's hard to imagine that DG's going anywhere but back to Lawrence. Svi is still young but I think he's the most likely to leave. He could make money back at home in Europe but staying at KU is probably his best chance at the NBA. He was one of the few bright spots from last night. We need him. He and Vick are an amazing combo at the 3. Cunliffe will add some great depth.

I wonder about Carlton. He won't be going to the NBA but will he transfer? He was clearly the biggest disappointment on the court this year. There were such high expectations but he just didn't fit in the four guard lineup. Maybe if he can play further from the basket, next to Dok or Preston, he will be able to earn more minutes and be a bigger contributor.

Regardless, it will be fun to see what the 2017-2018 version of the Jayhawks looks like.
Last Edit: 7 years 1 month ago by DrJHawker.

• JRhawk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 1 month ago #13183 by JRhawk
Can watch KU's Billy Preston tomorrow (Wed) eve on ESPN (6pm CT I think) in the McDonald's All Star game. Of course Trevon Duval also there.
I have high hopes for next year. Can go back to playing a center and one or two forwards. This year, playing 4 guards and only one guard on the bench, didn't quite work, since the rest of subs were forwards.

• JRhawk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
  • JRhawk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
  • konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
7 years 1 month ago #13214 by konza63
Let us know how he does, JR. I can't watch these glorified AAU all-star games. I lose all interest after 5 minutes.

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.

• JRhawk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 1 month ago #13219 by JRhawk
I hear you Konza. Agree the games are a joke, but always like to see how the KU recruits (and others) do. Last year JJ was very good and played that way at KU. One thing that's hard to discern is maturity level - unfortunately, JJ was a little lacking there. Billy Preston doesn't appear to be shy. Just reminded me of his namesake, Billy Preston (46-06) of Will It Go Round In Circles fame.
If my Dish Anywhere works, plan to watch tonight - will give my take on BP and others.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #13220 by konza63
One of the greatest keyboardists to ever live. (He's enshrined on my image-laden music wall of fame in my basement)

Not only did he have a great solo career, but he was a mainstay on many other artists' recordings, from the Beatles to Eric Clapton and George Harrison (solo career).

PS: He was present (and prominent) at the famous Beatles' rooftop concert. It was Preston tickling the keys on "Get Back."

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
Last Edit: 7 years 1 month ago by konza63.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, JRhawk

• JRhawk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
  • JRhawk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More