Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Long Time Gone

• Senex68
  • Senex68's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
7 years 1 month ago #12956 by Senex68
but I felt the urge to visit and post something today. Just a few thoughts about one of the most enjoyable basketball seasons I've experienced, and one that still has some life left.

First I just want to say that watching Devonte and Frank and Josh play is almost as much fun as they appear to be having. Last year's team, and far too many in the past, have played 'tight' and lost games that they should have won. This team is certainly not guaranteed to win the title, but if they lose in the next 3 games, it won't be because they were tight. Missing 3 after 3, like we did against Villanova last year, won't happen again. Watching Jacque Vaughn turn down a 3 at the end of the Arizona game won't happen again, because we have 4 guys who would willingly take that shot and probably hit it! No press is going to cost us the game, and no guard is going to saunter up court and get called for 10 seconds with the game on the line. In short, this team is different from most of Self's teams, with the exception of the 2008 team, and they had a pretty good run.

Second, it almost appears as though our bench is maturing (Bragg) and getting healthy (Coleby). Bragg is still not the player we all expected this year, but he's actually becoming serviceable for a few minutes here and there. Against the teams we're going to face from here on, he will be able t give us what we need. As will Coleby. He is never going to be a star, but he works hard, and knows how to rebound and he blocks out well. Again, a serviceable sub at a time when we absolutely must have at least 2.

Jackson is the most interesting player we have had in a long time. He's a phenomenal athlete, smart and driven to win, but most of all, he's apparently a 2nd half phenomenon. He's somewhat wild and careless for about 10 minutes every game, then he settles down, and in the 2nd half he literally overwhelms our opponents. He is relentless and like Frank Mason, does not appear to sweat or get fatigued Sometimes we just wear out our opponents, which makes the game far too easy for these guys.

I generally don't watch the other games, but I will watch the UK-UCLA game. These are two teams I absolutely despise, coached by 2 men I absolutely despise. We will have to beat one of them to get to the Final, assuming we beat Oregon, another team I'm not terribly fond of, by the way. Sometimes it's just too easy to get 'up' for an opponent. It could easily be easier than ever for me this tournament. Oregon, UCLA (I think they beat UK), and possibly Baylor. I'd rather not face Butler or Xavier, for obvious reasons, but I am confident we won't play a stinker at this point of the season.

Have a great weekend. I have a good feeling right now, and that is something I wasn't sure about 2 weeks ago.

"When you have a ruling class that doesn’t believe in — or even much like — the fundamental values of the nations it rules, things tend to work out poorly.”

Glenn Reynolds
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, JRhawk, Bayhawk, jayhawk969, rainyhawk, KMT, DrJHawker, newtonhawk, jaythawk1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.