Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

NotO's guide for who to root for today...

• NotOstertag
  • NotOstertag's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 3 weeks ago #12950 by NotOstertag
While we get to sit back and bask in our win from last night, here's who I'm pulling for (and against) tonight.

>Butler vs. UNC: This one is easy. Go Butler. Send Roy and his merry band of academic infractors home.

>South Carolina vs. Baylor: It's hard for me to root against the Big 12, but Scot Drew just seems smarmy to me. Plus, you know that any Duke fans watching will feel that they could have beaten Baylor if South Carolina does, so a South Carolina win makes Duke hurt just that much more.

>UCLA vs. Kentucky: Do I really even need to say? Put it this way: our beating UK in their gym this year is STILL one of my favorite things ever. Memphis will be filled with UK idiots. I'm hoping for crying UK cheerleaders, and maybe a couple of angry Memphis fans jumping coach squid on his way to the bus after UCLA drubs them.

>Wisconsin vs. Florida: C'mon Wisconsin. Never liked Florida much (too humid) and Wisconsin is known for beer and cheese. What's not to love about that?

Honestly, if both UK and UNC can lose tonight, I'll be giddy.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, Bayhawk, Freestate69

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• jaythawk1
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • RCJH! e'77, b'77
More
7 years 3 weeks ago #12951 by jaythawk1
I'm with you 120%!

Rock Chalk Jayhawks! Go KU!

Education Is the ability to listen to almost anything without losing your temper or your self-confidence~Robert Frost
The following user(s) said Thank You: NotOstertag

More
7 years 3 weeks ago #12954 by hairyhawk
My only quibble is though Drew and Baylor is not on my good list I will root for the Big XII. I even rooted for WVU yesterday. That is just my view.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JRhawk

• NotOstertag
  • NotOstertag's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 3 weeks ago #12955 by NotOstertag
Fair enough and I rooted for WVU yesterday too. As long as UK and UNC go down, anything else is secondary.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

More
7 years 3 weeks ago #12959 by JRhawk
Am okay with UNC losing, especially since Roy still thinks the ACC was best this year.. W vs Fl, could care less. Will root for Baylor, since Big XII. Can there be no winner in UK-UCLA game? Am very sick of LaVar Ball - generally can't stand UCLA - of course UK and the Squid - yuck.

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
7 years 3 weeks ago #12963 by HawkErrant
Butler -- because the tarred ones wouldn't even be playing if the NCAA had any guts.

UCLA -- because I always enjoy watching squid squirm

Wisconsin -- because I've never been a Florida supporter (unless they were playing kensucky), and as NotO noted, beer and cheese... and brats!

Baylor -- I'm actually torn on this one, because I really like Frank Martin and I'm not crazy about Scott Drew, but in the end keeping it in the Big XII family would be a big plus in cementing the status of this year's Big XII in the eyes of all those ACC naysayers. I would love to see two Big XII teams in the FF.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
7 years 3 weeks ago #12972 by konza63
I personally go with HE's modified list. I love that Frank's Gamecocks knocked Duke out of the ring, but have to root for the Big 12. REALLY wanted the Mountaineers to win last night for the same reason (along with KU, others in the B12 need to start faring better in the tourney).

And while I don't want to play UCLA in the FF (really would be the equivalent of the NC game, given the prairie fire on the other side of the bracket), at some point you have to play great teams to get the crown.

First things first, though. Oregon, then worry about the next game.

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
7 years 3 weeks ago #13018 by konza63
Well, that didn't go as hoped. At all. To the contrary, every game went the opposite direction.

Tarholes alive and well. Contucky thriving. SEC (SEC?) with 3 teams in the Elite 8.

That means the planets have to realign, with order restored tonight.

Let's go, Hawks!!!

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.