Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

CouldThe World Handle It?

• Governors
  • Governors's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
7 years 1 month ago #12544 by Governors
Seriously?

www.newsobserver.com/sports/spt-columns-...rticle138454328.html

I just don't know why these local reporters don't cover or recognize basketball exists outside of the RDU triangle region.

:blink: :blink:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 1 month ago #12545 by Wheatstate Gal
Hi Guv

I tried and made it to the quote in your header.....stopped there.

Probably typical.....I feel for u to be surrounded by that.....would be,for me, like being stuck in Columbia, MO or the Little Apple OR only where I could get that rag called the KC Star!

Ugh.....stay strong, my friend!

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
7 years 1 month ago #12546 by konza63
The only thing worthy in that article (and the point where I decided it was a good place to stop!) was his recollection of KU's upset win over UNC and Dean TTS back in '91.

I remember that game well. I remember the sweet feeling of defeating the Tarholes. I remember a typical, disgruntled UNC frat-boy type coming up to a friend of mine at the bar (a Hoosier fan, actually) and angrily pulling the tip of his cap down because his Holes had just lost. And I remember the subsequent, crazy, last-minute road trip to Indy to watch the KU-Duke NC game live. Sadly, that one went to Puke. But it was a great run, particularly coming so early in Roy's tenure at KU.

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.

More
7 years 1 month ago #12548 by NotOstertag
Could CBS handle it? 2 schools who are not all that interesting to those outside of their area. I think there are far more "anti-Duke" fans out there, and a growing contingent of anti-UNC fans. The number of fans rooting for a meteor is growing, and you can fast forward the DVR to see who's cheerleaders are crying.

CBS likely wants the best ratings, which would mean two teams from different regions with a more diverse fan base.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wheatstate Gal

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 1 month ago #12550 by Wheatstate Gal
Sounds like tobacco road schools think they are Notre Dame or the Dallas Cowboys.....I don't care for either of those teams either!

(I must be getting over my "cold".....crankiness coming back!!!) ;-)

More
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #12552 by Bayhawk
This time of year the plebeians start attending to NCAA round ball and they only know the popular names (Puke, Tarholes, Kensucky) of which KU is included. I wear KU stuff most everyday and I get lots of comments from folks who obviously don't know Naismith, Phog, or even -- horror of horrors :ohmy: -- Wilt. They recognize the name and iconic mascot but often confuse KU with -- blech :sick: -- UK. Depending on my schedule, I try to give them a 30 second lesson on the history of college hoops starting with the good Dr. Naismith (court), moving on to Allen (field house), and ending with (the house built by) Wilt. I add that we have more than three NCs as KU hoops has been around longer than the NCAA, but by this time they glaze over. :whistle:

Well, we know what's up! Rock Chalk Jayhawk, Go KU!!!! :cheer:

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet
Last Edit: 7 years 1 month ago by HawkErrant. Reason: Fixing Freudian anti-NCAA slip ;)

More
7 years 1 month ago #12573 by rainyhawk
I know! I was watching PTI yesterday and they mentioned something about elite programs or historically elite programs and said "like Duke or No. Carolina...perhaps UCLA". I'm screaming at the TV---UCLA????? and no mention of KU????? Sure UCLA has had its moments, but it terms of consistently elite, you can't forget about us!!!!

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
7 years 1 month ago #12574 by konza63
I love this post, Bay, because we've all lived your recollection. Lol...

We all represent and do the same explaining, and that's all that matters. We're right up there in the blueblood pantheon, and any student of the game knows that. Good enough for me! :-)

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk