Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Jackson's lawyer responds

• konza63
  • konza63's Avatar Topic Author
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #12397 by konza63
Thus far, the Star has chosen to print an almost-daily slew of stories based on one very biased, loud source: the Calvert father. As noted before, that's shoddy journalism (if journalism at all), and there are always two -- if not more -- sides to every controversial story.

To wit:

cjonline.com/sports/hawkzone/2017-03-10/...le-handedly-creating

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
Last Edit: 7 years 1 month ago by konza63.
The following user(s) said Thank You: murphyslaw

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
7 years 1 month ago #12398 by BadgerHawk
Best response for us as KU fans to this type of reporting (from KC Star) is to not only complain, but don't repost the links to these bogus stories. They're after the clicks of us outraged KU fans as much as those of the KU haters. Don't help them. If anything, post the contact info for the person to complain to and a summary of why their reporting is not acceptable (single-source & one-sided in this case). If the Cap-Journal is going to pick up the Star's dropped ball, I'm going to start visiting their page for KU news and avoiding the Star altogether.
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63

• konza63
  • konza63's Avatar Topic Author
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
7 years 1 month ago #12399 by konza63
I'm increasingly posting while mobile these days. The iPhone keyboard is unforgiving and has a mind of its own sometimes. :-)

I think I fixed them now, lol.

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.

More
7 years 1 month ago #12429 by NotOstertag
Some takeaways:

1.) court date is now March 27, so in theory if Josh gets thrown in prison, he'd miss the Final Four. My guess is that it'll all be settled before then and the 27th will just be a formality with no team issues going forward.

2.) like anything, there are 2 sides to the story. Kudos to JJ's lawyer for walking the fine line between setting the record straight and not commenting on an ongoing case.

3.) If you really want to annoy the Star, instead of posting a link, just copy/paste the relevant copy from the article and they won't get the credit for a web hit (with all due respect to the board here, I'm not advocating that you do anything that could be construed as copyright infringement on our wonderful board). ;)

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
7 years 1 month ago #12447 by HawkErrant
Properly identify the copyrighted text and include the details of its origin. Just like back in school, folks...

Story title
KC Star, date, page

Rock Chalk!

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wheatstate Gal

More
7 years 1 month ago #12449 by AZhawk87
Or, just ignore everything. Traditional newspapers are evaporating, and they are desperate for ANY attention. They are no longer "news" sources, but entertainment rags fighting a death battle with the internet for eyeballs of the readers.

They LOVE when people get angry and fire off letters, emails, etc., as it's their primary means of staying relevant, and it confirms that you're actually reading their articles. The best bet is to ignore them, and don't give them ANY attention, even if you properly quote their articles.

KU's off court troubles are a boon for the KC star. Articles about our success don't get us riled up, and they certainly make Mizzou fans ignore the paper. But sensationalizing KU's off court troubles, which thankfully are not common place as they are in Columbia, gets the KU folks commenting, and gets the Mizzou folks happy and salivating.

Just ignore until we move on to 14 in a row.

More
7 years 1 month ago #12450 by NotOstertag
Since when could Mizzou fans read? :D

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, Rosie19, Wheatstate Gal

More
7 years 1 month ago #12454 by AZhawk87
NotO - best comment in a very long time. I laughed out loud. Thank you.