Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Bragg - My gosh

• AZhawk87
  • AZhawk87's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 1 month ago #12361 by AZhawk87
I'm not bothered at all by the loss. We get rest, we don't have to slug it out against WVU, and JJ comes back with a reason to make it up to the team.

Despite the loss, Frank stepped up, SVI did as well. Lucas played his usual solid game. Devonte may be hurting - hope not.

But Bragg. Wow. Just when we really needed a game from a bench guy, he scores one point.

I predict a transfer for him next season. He needs a fresh start somewhere. It seems he's either about 50% of the talent he was recruited for, or mentally he has completely checked out. Too bad. I really thought he would be a fun player to watch.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
7 years 1 month ago #12363 by Riverhawk
Right you are. When HCBS talked about how disappointed he was with the bench yesterday, gee, whom do you think he was talking about? I think Bragg is gone too, and I don't think Self will mind much. The ultimate sin to him is to play "soft", and unfortunately Carlton this year certainly fits in that category.

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
7 years 1 month ago #12365 by konza63
Yep, his play and effort yesterday was inexcusable.

What I don't understand is that Coleby looked good. And yet right after hitting that sweet fake/reverse pivot/baby hook, he picked up a 3rd foul and was yanked. I understood that at the time (if he was a central part of the depth plan with Josh out), but then Self somewhat inexcusably and bafflingly didn't go back to Coleby after that for solid minutes. Even though Bragg sucked, Lightfoot blew his one simple scoring opportunity, and TCU was killing us on the boards.

Bizarre.

But back to your point, Bragg stunk and he's been a SUPREME disappointment!

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.

More
7 years 1 month ago #12373 by hairyhawk
As for the Colby observation. I think that Colby would struggle if his man pulls him out to the perimeter. That was what HCBS was seeing IMHO. When we had Colby and Lucas in at the same time Colby guarded the post and LL guarded the big who floated out to the perimeter. When you feel LL is a better perimeter guy that Mr. Colby it tells you how coach feels about his ability to guard the perimeter. I think the reason Colby did not see more minutes was he really can only sub for LL. We don't want him to play the 4 just the 5. We needed someone who could play the 4.

More
7 years 1 month ago #12375 by murphyslaw
I hope he does transfer for his own good and for the good of the team. Big goofy kids aren't very helpful on a consistent basis.

I cringed every time Self put him in the game.

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 1 month ago #12376 by Wheatstate Gal
I have this habit of feeling like "we've failed" when a kid transfers. Sorta like when Roy left. THEN I recover.

I seem to recall last year that Bragg was fun to watch on the sidelines. Dancing, having fun, supporting his team mates on the court.....I hoped he'd BEEF UP a bit over the summer...don't think that happened.

Maybe all will be better served if he does go on to "greener" pastures for him. From what you all say, it seems that Andrew White certainly did better by moving on, a couple of times. Frankamp (sp?) Micah Downs. David Padgett. Who was the "wal mart" kid -- went to New Mexico or NM State?

IF he stays, I hope he gets his head out of where ever it is right now and gets with the program.

(Don't know what happened yesterday. I had my lucky watch on and everything. It was the FIRST time it had failed all year (although I don't recall if I wore in for the Indiana game or not!)...After ISU, it HIT me that I didn't wear the jayhawk watch that day. RATS!)

More
7 years 1 month ago #12378 by Bayhawk
Tattoo that watch WSG!!! :P

RC

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet

More
7 years 1 month ago #12380 by hairyhawk
I sure hope he does not transfer. He has learned some hard lessons this year. He has also had the opportunity to see what it takes to excel watching the work Frank puts in. I think he could be a valuable asset in the future or at least I hope so. He will need to work harder over the summer than he ever has before. I do not know if he has what it takes to do that but I hope so. My hope is that he stays and puts in the work and does great things. I do not know if that is reasonable or not but it is what I hope.

• AZhawk87
  • AZhawk87's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 1 month ago #12382 by AZhawk87
Hairy. I share your hope that something clicks for him and he puts the work in. However, he's had more than ample time to learn from his earlier mistakes this season, get his head straight, increase his work and effort, and add to the team.

But, it seems like he's going the opposite direction. One point and effortless play at this stage of the season is unacceptable, and a more likely predictor of future behavior. The most surprising part of this is that Self keeps playing him. Self usually has no issue burying a guy like him on the bench. If there was ANY other player who could spell Lucas, I think Bragg would already have vanished from the court.

More
7 years 1 month ago #12383 by newtonhawk
Add me to the camp of hoping he stays. How many other guys have not played up to their potential until at least their Junior, or even Senior year? Even Mason caused many to cringe when he was on the floor as a Frosh and Soph. It seems like very few of these young men are able to fully adapt to the Self system right away. I think having his previous experience will prove to be valuable. There will be a lot of new faces, although a couple have been here this year, but they have not had the "game experience" that has an entirely different feel.

I WILL add that his staying MUST include a willingness to buy in and mind his manners!!!

More
7 years 1 month ago #12385 by RobS
I forgot to set the DVR to record the game so I can't comment on Bragg's play in this game. But I can't help that think that part of the problem is Self's expectations for his big men. He always wants big men to play thru contact and with muscle right under the basket. Bragg isn't that kind of player. He needs to play the 4 and be the guy who hits the 10-15' jump shot that opens up the lane for the 5 and for slashers. He then needs to use his size and mobility to go for the rebounds. But even if Self didn't have the tendency to push all the bigs down low, this year we really need Bragg to play down deep due to our shortage of big men.

Remember what Perry Ellis was like his first 2 years? Always playing down low and he could almost never finish thru contact. Bragg is only in his second year and he didn't start with the skill set that Perry had. I hope he sticks around cause I think he'll improve like all the others. Maybe the tournament will be his breakout performance, like Cole Aldrich beating up on UNC.

One other thing, all though we've been forced to go with 4 smalls most of this season, during the few times when we've had 2 bigs on the floor, usually Lucas and Bragg, I think we've looked pretty good. I don't have any stats to back that up and I don't have a clue if it brings an improvement on offense or defense, but that is the impression I've gotten.

Mongo just pawn in game of life.

More
7 years 1 month ago #12386 by Bayhawk
RC

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet