Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Who would make your all-time KU "glue guy" or "lunchpail" team?

• konza63
  • konza63's Avatar Topic Author
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #12266 by konza63
The thread on Landen -- and specifically AZHawk's apt comment about Landen being one of his favorite blue-collar KU players -- got me to thinking...

Who would you, the esteemed RCB members and KU fans, put on your all-time blue-collar, glue-guy, lunchpail-carrying KU team?

I would put up a poll on this, but that would mean arbitrarily pulling 15-20 names out myself -- and that would be flawed from the start since it would be just one guy choosing the list of prospects. I also must admit that I was too young to be able to cite more obscure role players from the Owens era, and wasn't alive for the period prior to that.

I'll have to think about my list and add to it as I go, but off the top of my head I'm pretty confident that these guys would be on it (from the Brown era-forward):

* Travis Releford
* Russell Robinson
* Archie Marshall
* Adonis Jordan
* Darnell Jackson

Honorable mention: Mark Turgeon, Michael Lee, Greg Ostertag (hat tip to NotO!) :-)

I know I'm missing some, but that's my initial stab. What's yours?

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
Last Edit: 7 years 1 month ago by konza63.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
7 years 1 month ago #12271 by NotOstertag
I always thought of myself as a "Glue Guy" around here...:)

I always liked TJ Pugh. Not sure what it was about the guy, but he was clearly less skilled than the guys around him, and played limited minutes, but always seemed to understand his role as a "screens, defense, and rebounds" guy and appeared to throw himself into it fully.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63

More
7 years 1 month ago #12272 by big g
great first list konza. only miss i see is kevin young.

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #12273 by HawkErrant
Chris Piper's interior defense was critical for the 1988 team (The Traitor Smith himself -- pretreason -- declared Pipe's NC game performance "the best interior defense" he had ever seen played).

Jeff Graves in 2003 stepped in for the injured Wayne Simien. To this day it is my opinion that despite Wayne's significantly greater skill, the team played better with Jeff in his place because Wayne and Nick Collison never really meshed in the offensive scheme. IMO Jeff did a much better job -- spacing, screening, blocking out -- playing with Nick than sophomore star Wayne ever did.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
Last Edit: 7 years 1 month ago by HawkErrant.
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63

More
7 years 1 month ago #12274 by JoJoHawk
I would add Steve Woodberry and Brady Morningstar!

• konza63
More
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #12394 by konza63
HE: Gravy and Pipes are great additions... I actually ran into Gravy at the Sweet 16/Elite 8 games back in 2012. He was there backing the Hawks, of course.

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.

• konza63
More
7 years 1 month ago #12395 by konza63
JoJo--

I actually had Woodberry on my first list in the opening post, but must've accidentally cut him out in the editing phase. LOVED Steve and his game, and he absolutely should be in this mix.

• konza63
More
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #12396 by konza63
Big G: Yep, thought about KY, but didn't put him on my own opening list just because I had to cut off somewhere and not steal others' thunder.

:-)