Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Conference Tournament formats

More
7 years 1 month ago #12256 by Kong
Just giving an opinion here, but I dislike these buys when conferences don't have multiples of 4 in their conference. I think the Big 12 should say that if you finished 9th and 10th, you don't make the tournament. Then 1-8 are paired normally and everyone plays the same number of games.

Same for other conferences.

Visualize Whirled Peas

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 1 month ago #12258 by Wheatstate Gal
Gee, Kong. Where's the MONEY in that suggestion? :-P ;-)

I'm old fashioned. I STILL like the Big 8 preseason tourney from yore.

I HATE this money grubbing scheme.....I just worry that someone will get hurt.....
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
7 years 1 month ago #12260 by HawkErrant
Got no problem with that sort of format myself until I consider the economics.

Current format does generate more overall interest (no one's season is over just yet) and does give late blooming young teams an extremely remote chance (cue Dumb & Dumber quote) to make history.

All that translates to more money in the coffers, and the 7&8 teams have incentive to excel at the end of the regular season in order to escape the extra play-in games.

Will be interesting to see attendance for tonight's games.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

More
7 years 1 month ago #12262 by Kong
I don't believe these few bye fillers generate that much revenue.

Plus, I always felt it sort of mad a bit of a mockery of the regular season. Everyone has a chance?!?!? Really, why? Seems to me if you were the last place team during the season, you already had a chance and failed.

Anyway, I understand that is based upon money and that my idea will never come to pass. I was just stating my dislike for the system.

Visualize Whirled Peas
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rosie19

More
7 years 1 month ago #12268 by NotOstertag
I could care less about the byes. My biggest gripe has nothing to do with our conference tourney, since so often it has little to do with where we end up post season. I think it CAN help a team like KSU this year who are one of the last 4 out of the brackets, as they can play themselves in.

My biggest gripe actually comes from the smaller conferences that are only going to send 1 team anyway. It happens far too often that a team from a small conference does a great job all season, wins the regular season, and then gets bumped because they blow it in the conference tourney. To me, that's exceedingly unfair and stupid. For small conferences who are only going to send 1 team anyway, and are unlikely to advance beyond the first round no matter who they send, the idea that you could win your conference season by a large margin, and then have one off night and lose the opportunity to play in the biggest stage in college basketball seems pretty rotten.

Then again, it's all money. If the conference tourney is meaningless, then the money dries up.

Here's my solution, by the way...in case the NCAA asks: Let each conference decide who they want to go however they want. I'd recommend a conference coach's committee. Give 1 point to the conference regular season champ, one point for the tourney champ, and 1 point decided by a poll of the coaches (can't vote for your own team) as a tiebreaker.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant