Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

I guess we were due for another run-in with the law.....

• NotOstertag
  • NotOstertag's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 1 month ago #12228 by NotOstertag
It's been several days without any contact between the police and the team, so I guess they miss each other.

The latest: Josh Jackson backed into another car in a parking lot on Feb 2nd, and left without leaving contact info. Of course, they figured out it was him, and now he's got to go to court in a couple weeks for it. Self is imposing a 1 game suspension, meaning he'll be riding the pine tomorrow.

Seriously, can't make this stuff up. Not sure if the KC Star has posted a 10 page in-depth hack job on the guys yet, so I figured I'd save time and report the facts here in the 3 sentences above.

Incredible lack of judgement being displayed. With all of the crap they've been dealing with the Devonte failure to appear, and Jackson failure to leave his contact info things are totally unforced errors. Hey Josh: in a couple of months you're going to be a multimillionaire. Apologize for the fender bender and offer to buy the guy you hit a new car in a couple of months if he wants it. This never needed to be a police matter. Happens a million times a day all around the world, and MOST people can figure it out without ever ending up in court.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: murphyslaw, Rosie19

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
7 years 1 month ago #12230 by OreadExpress
Well there was something related to this in the KC paper in the early morning online edition, but no details of the response at that time. FWIW, Jesse Newell wrote that article, not the usual unknown kacks. Between that (Newell, a KU sports beat guy providing the coverage) and Smellinger's recent comments regarding those same reporters and their work (out of his way to be complimentary), I wonder what kind of surge of negative feedback the KC Star has gotten recently.

It is kind of laughable that there is anything like this still happening. Coaching staff just can't seem to get everybody on the same page here and keep dumb crap from happening and then coming out like this.

Sheesh. They just can't seem to get out of their own way.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

More
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #12231 by OreadExpress
Here's the link in the Lawrence paper...

D'oh
Last Edit: 7 years 1 month ago by HawkErrant. Reason: Edited link.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
7 years 1 month ago #12233 by HawkErrant
I'd "Thank you" for the info, but oi vey!
This stuff is killing me.

Guys --
THINK.
Please.

Thank you.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wheatstate Gal

More
  • Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 1 month ago #12246 by Wheatstate Gal
Yee Gawds.....THINK is right.

I guess I keep forgetting how YOUNG these guys are. I have a 22 year old nephew who is a moron (I love him but I want to smack him around periodically!)......act now, think later.

Sheesh!

More
7 years 1 month ago #12259 by sasnak
Ok, I think I need to go back to Lawrence and be a house mother to these ruffians. We need to have some basic civic lessons and how to walk away from a fight esp with a girl. They are just kids but someone needs to dial them in.

It'll feel better when it stops hurting
The following user(s) said Thank You: NotOstertag, Wheatstate Gal

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 1 month ago #12261 by Wheatstate Gal
I'm with you, sister sasnak!

You, Me, Bosco, Cosmo....

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #12263 by konza63
TCU crushed OU yesterday, so now KU will face a confident, determined foe without the benefit of our second-best player. TCU did a pretty good job hanging around in both regular-season games until KU finally pulled away. They were actually outplaying us in the second game in Lawrence until we finally decided to flip a switch. That was with Josh in the lineup. Dixon is a good coach, and obviously wants to beat us. His message to his team today will be "We have nothing to lose, and we're playing with house money. Be loose and let it rip."

Will it be enough to propel them to a major upset over the current-prohibitive top overall 1 seed? Let's hope not. But we can say two things with clarity in advance:

1) Josh's dumb decision at the time (and his thinking in the moment only of himself, not the team or program) has consequences. It means that the guy we're going to need to be fresh and at his best starting next week -- Frank Mason -- is now going to have to play probably 35 minutes (or more) in what will now likely be a tight game that might have otherwise been a less-tight game. He could've potentially gotten a little pine time, or at least might not have had to expend massive amounts of energy trying to will us to a win.

2) While the parking lot offense was pretty minor in nature (if it were the only offense or if viewed in isolation), it still speaks to character or at least judgment issues. And, in the midst of what is now national media attention on the cumulative KU crime blotter (thanks in part to the steady drumbeat of the KC Star), it just underscores the extremist impression (which the Star is doing its able best to make mainstream) that Self has little control over the team or program. Even if that impression doesn't succeed in taking hold, which would be horrible for the program, Josh's action -- coming on the heels of all the others -- conveys the impression that whatever remedial measures and messaging that Self has executed behind closed doors have not gotten through sufficiently to Josh (if not others). It also implies a sense of self-entitlement: i.e., that Josh (in this case) thinks the law doesn't apply to him because he's a known figure on a prominent KU basketball team. (Same thing with Devonte blowing off his expired tags court appearance, etc.)

We, as proud KU alum and fans, are now going to have to watch the tournament knowing that there will be stories run on national TV (and comments made during game coverage) about all the legal troubles the team has been in--and still may be in, if the McCarthy Hall issue winds up still coming back to bite.

Bottom line: This off-court crap stinks. It distracts from a truly exceptional season, and what should be a time of immense celebration: Frank potentially running away with most key NPOY awards (joining the great Sir Danny as the only Hawk to ever do so), Landen and Frank enjoying such a great senior year, KU making history with #13, and Self being on the cusp of HOF induction.

Josh and the other kids who have been in the spotlight (in a bad way) need to buck up and get a John Deere tractor to pull their heads out of...(you know where). FOCUS!!!! :angry: :angry: :angry:

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
Last Edit: 7 years 1 month ago by konza63.

• NotOstertag
  • NotOstertag's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 1 month ago #12269 by NotOstertag
Good stuff Konza. A couple of notes:

KU will be down Jackson today, but TCU's legs will be more tired from yesterday. I'm really not worried about beating TCU, especially in KC. Nevertheless, Jackson created an unnecessary situation. Not good. Silver lining: assuming we win today, Josh will have fresh legs tomorrow, and hopefully a little chip on his shoulder for not getting to play today.

Totally agree with you on the character issue. Let's face it, you ding somebody's car in a parking lot, and it's pretty easy to get away with it if there are no witnesses. Happens all the time. But it takes a certain amount of maturity to face up to your mistakes and do the right thing, ESPECIALLY when you could have gotten away with it. Hope he learns this.

Now for a parallel: we had a gifted wing player back in the 90's who I don't remember getting into any real trouble around campus, but who promptly got stabbed when he turned pro because he was in a somewhat sketchy place with some somewhat sketchy characters and tried to break up a fight. After he recovered, it seemed to me that it was a wake up call, and the only press I've heard about him was his HOF career with the Celtics and who will be retiring this year from the Clippers. Paul Pierce learned a lesson the hard way. I hope that Jackson's judgement lapses stop ASAP and that he doesn't have to get stabbed before he realizes that trouble begets more trouble.

The sad part to me is that I'm actually contemplating a ranking of "who's sketchy" on the team to try and figure out who has shown the worst judgement this year. To me, there seems to be the most smoke around Mr. Jackson (kicked a car, hit another, and was a witness to the whole rape case) and Mr. Vick (physical abuse with the female hoops player, getting drinks thrown in his face months later by the same). Bragg is next with the self-defense vs. his girlfriend (don't get into situations where a woman is GOING to slug you...should have walked away before it got there), the drug paraphernalia, and involvement in the rape case. Devonte's arrest is ALMOST completely excusable, but I do hold out a sliver of blame for him because of the fact that if your name is on a summons, you'd better show up. I get no joy in documenting this stuff (or else I'd be working at the Star) but it just illustrates to me that some of these guys haven't figured out that even if you're an "innocent bystander" you can get sucked into bad situations.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot