Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Season Complete - All Gravy from Here - Our Resume

• NotOstertag
  • NotOstertag's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 1 month ago #12180 by NotOstertag
Ok, so this is the eve of when things get weird, so for anybody who knows me, this is the part where I try to logically pass judgement on our year BEFORE we enter a couple of single-elimination event. Call it a state of the Jayhawk union if you will...

OUR RESUME
It is quite literally impossible NOT to appreciate our body of work this year. I'll star with the bad: we lost our opener to Indiana (#32 in Sagarin), lost at WVU (16-2 home record) and lost to ISU in Allen (only home loss this year). In all, not bad.

Now the good: We beat Duke, which is always a good thing. We also beat Kentucky on their home floor...not some "neutral" thing, but their home floor, on college gameday, when it was scripted for us to lose. We swept Baylor (#11), split with WVU (#10) and ISU (#24), and won the toughest conference in the nation by a whopping 4-game margin. We've got 2 legit POY candidates, including the probable winner, and a potential COY guy calling the shots. Our #7 SOS (sagarin) is the highest SOS in the top 10, and our 8-2 vs. top 25 is #1 in the top 10. Against the top 50, we're 14-3, with only the next closest top 10 team at 11 wins vs. the top 50.

We are CLEARLY the #1 team in the country, and by all logic, should be the #1 overall seed if the season were to end today.

Oh yeah....we also just won our 13th consecutive regular season crown...in a power league...in the modern era...under one coach. Kind of a big deal. We also held even with our "more championships than home losses" little piece of trivia. Scary. History. Savor it.

In short: MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.

THE BAD STUFF
The ONLY blemish on this season is the negative press we've gotten for several minor "scandals",and Azibuike's wrist injury. Other than that stuff, and the somewhat unprecedented attacks from the KC Star, it's been a pretty favorable year.

LOOKING AHEAD
So with all of this in the can, I'm pretty proud of this year's team. Nevertheless, it ain't over. We hava a minimum of 2 games left, and a maximum of 9. The Big 12 tourney doesn't mean much to me, unless it comes down to winning the rubber matches with ISU and WVU, or in one of those years where you DON'T win the regular season and are looking for SOME kind of prize. If anything, it's an opportunity to confirm some things, and get ready for the big dance. The NCAA tourney is a whole 'nuther thing, and as long as we don't embarrass ourselves, I'm fine with whatever happens. We do have a team that could win it all, but there are so many variables involved that I've never been one of those guys who puts too much weight on not being one of the 63 other teams that don't win it all.

So here's to a 9 game winning streak. Will it happen? Who knows. No matter what happens, this has been a great team to watch, and if anything, I'm just hoping that I get so see Frank and Landon play as many games as possible from here out. Both of those guys will be sorely missed after they move on, so I'm just going to try to enjoy every minute of them playing (Jackson too) in a Kansas uniform before they trade those in for something else that doesn't mean so much to me.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, Bayhawk, porthawk, Governors, OreadExpress, DocBlues, murphyslaw

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.