Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

How #1 seeds have fared with the eventual POTY since 2000.

• ATXJayhawk
  • ATXJayhawk's Avatar Topic Author
More
7 years 6 months ago #12168 by ATXJayhawk
#1 seeds with the eventual Naismith player of the year have done well in the ncaa tournament.

Since 2000, 5 out of the 8 one seeds with the eventual naismith player of year made it to at least the final four. 2001 Duke and 2012 Kentucky were national champions, 2015 Wisconsin was the national runner up, and 2003 Texas and 2008 UNC made the final four.

Also, here's a full look at how the No. 1 overall seeds have fared since 2005:

2005 — Illinois (Runner up)

2006 — Duke (Lost in Sweet 16)

2007 — Florida (Won national championship)

2008 — Memphis (Runner up but vacated)

2009 — Louisville (Lost in Elite Eight)

2010 — Kansas (Lost in second round)

2011 — Ohio State (Lost in Sweet 16)

2012 — Kentucky (Won national championship)

2013 — Louisville (Won national championship)

2014 — Florida (Lost in Final Four)

2015 — Kentucky (Lost in Final Four)

2016 — Kansas (Lost in Elite Eight)

Seven of the 12 teams seeded first overall have gone to at least the Final Four, while three of those teams have won it. Two made the elite 8, two make the sweet 16, and one only made the 2nd round (2010 Kansas... sigh)

I like KUs chances to make the final 4...especially if they get the #1 overall seed. That means they get to choose where they play in the first round which would be Tulsa. They would be in the Midwest bracket and the regional is in KC; essentialy a home game in Allen fieldhouse East.

This is shaping up to be a special year everyone... even more than it already has been.

Crimson and blue looks so much better than burnt orange!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, Bayhawk, jayhawk969, KMT

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
7 years 6 months ago #12169 by LSHawk
Dare to dream...
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

• ATXJayhawk
  • ATXJayhawk's Avatar Topic Author
More
7 years 6 months ago #12170 by ATXJayhawk
Being the AP ranked #1 team, #1 overall seed, and having the NPOTY has been a rare and major good luck omen in the NCAA tournament.

Only 1992 Duke, 2001 Duke and 2012 Kentucky have won the national championship after being ranked No. 1 in the final AP poll, being the #1 overall seed, and having the NPOTY. 1992 Duke had Christian Laettner, 2001 Duke had Shane Battier, and 2012 Kentucky had Anthony Davis.

Kansas is currently #1 in the AP poll, the presumptive overall #1 seed, and has the leading NPOTY in Frank Mason.

Can KU match what 1992 and 2001 Duke and 2012 Kentucky were able to do?

Crimson and blue looks so much better than burnt orange!!!

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
7 years 6 months ago #12171 by HawkErrant
ROCK CHALK!

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #12223 by konza63
Great stuff as always, ATXJayhawk...

RE your question:

Can KU match what 1992 and 2001 Duke and 2012 Kentucky were able to do?

There are probably 3 schools of thought here, if you ask fans across the country. Where you stand depends on where you sit.

Always-optimistic KU fans: "Absolutely. And we will. I can feel it."

Historically-minded KU fans: "We absolutely can, and if there's any justice in the hoops universe we will. But for whatever reason, KU's exceptional regular-season historical success hasn't translated into elite post-season success the way it has at UK, Duke, and UNC. So we would have to overcome that."

KU program detractors: "Nope. KU underperforms in the tourney every year. When I fill out my brackets they're almost always on the 1 line. And they always bow out without the crown. 2008 was the exception, not the norm. They'll fall short again."

I'm personally in-between #1 and #2, where I always am this time of year. ;) Let's hope the "#1 impulse proves clairvoyant this time around!

ROCK CHALK...

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
Last Edit: 7 years 6 months ago by konza63.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KMT

• HawkErrant
More
7 years 6 months ago #12225 by HawkErrant
Hope is not a plan, but
Optimism is not a sin!

YA GOTTA BE LIEVE!

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

More
7 years 6 months ago #12232 by NotOstertag
Geography is in our favor if it pans out this way. Tulsa is easy to get to for KU fans and Kansas City is considered a home game sometimes.

Nevertheless, it's all about the variables, and there are a lot more than just location.

Tulsa is good, but not close enough to negate all worries. While I don't even want to entertain the idea of losing to a 16 seed, it's not inconceivable for SMU or Okie State to slide in as an 8 or 9 seed and face us in round 2. Again, we should win, but either of those teams would likely have the same opportunity to bring out fans.

Then there's the sometimes whimsical way that the NCAA likes to set up the brackets. Would the NCAA "randomly" assign Wichita State or Kentucky in our bracket?

Finally, unless Self puts this group under house arrest, I'm not sure I trust the judgement of some of our guys at this point anymore. Imagine how upset the apple cart would be if we went down to the winner of TCU/OU because of Jackson's absence. Not likely but suddenly a variable that we didn't need added to the mix. If that happens, do we lose the #1 overall seed and spot in KC?

Anyway, the stars are aligning as best as we can expect, which alone is a very good thing. Nevertheless, with the randomness of single-elimination tournaments, I'm on eggshells.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

More
7 years 6 months ago #12241 by KMT
"...and if there's any justice in the hoops universe we will."

LOL - sums my tourney-state every year.

• HawkErrant
More
7 years 6 months ago #12252 by HawkErrant
ROCK CHALK!