Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

On Landen from senior night.

• porthawk
  • porthawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #12084 by porthawk
So there was this quote from Landen about Coach Self (which I read in the LJW):

“I remember when I first got here he told me this was going to be the only night I start here, Senior Night.... You’re such a great coach and I love playing for you.”

www2.kusports.com/news/2017/feb/27/noteb...hes/?mens_basketball

I would like to know how it was said by HCBS five years ago and then Landen’s tone on senior night (and I would like to see HCBS’s reaction).

Additionally, I really liked what Fran Fraschilla said about Landen during the game on Monday. FF said that people were telling Landen during his redshirt year that he should transfer…that he’ll be recruited over. FF continued (I’m paraphrasing the quote), The thing is, he worked hard and it paid off. He stuck it out and took the more difficult road…and it wound up being even more rewarding! Nicely said by Fraschilla.
Last Edit: 7 years 1 month ago by porthawk.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JRhawk, newtonhawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #12085 by HawkErrant
Since in my experience Self has never been one to speak in absolutes, I would imagine his comment to LL those 5 years ago had a "probably" in it. I can also easily believe it has served as a huge motivator for LL over the years (witness LL remembering it to begin with).

As to LL's tone on Senior Night when he said those words, they were said with a smile on his face and a song in his heart that all watching could see and hear. :)

Rock Chalk, LL!

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
Last Edit: 7 years 1 month ago by HawkErrant.

More
7 years 1 month ago #12090 by NotOstertag
I could also imagine that it might have been prefaced with, "If you keep doing _____..."

Possibly a scenario where Landon wasn't giving a full effort in practice prompting that comment. In any case, I don't think that there's any bad blood between them.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

More
7 years 1 month ago #12092 by JRhawk
Here are Senior Night videos - Landen talks about that at 7:00 minute in mark. Sound isn't great. As HE said, he sounded very happy.
http://www2.kusports.com/weblogs/kusportstv/2017/feb/28/senior-night-speeches-frank-mason-landen/

More
7 years 1 month ago #12098 by JRhawk
The 2012-13 team and recruiting class are very special to me, mainly because I saw them play in Paris Aug 11, 2012. Jeff Withey and Kevin Young were senior big men. Justin Wesley was a RS-Jr. Jamari Traylor was a RS-Fr. Zach Peters and Perry Ellis were Fr - both more gifted than LL. The one thing that LL had was the old saying, "you can't teach height". Shorter players like Milton Doyle (currently a Sr with Loyola-Chicago), Rio Adams - left after one year at KU (status unknown), and Andrew White III - left after So year (to Nebr, now Sr at Syracuse).
LL was a 3 star recruit, who had attended 3 different high schools. Whatever HCBS said to him was no doubt a motivating tool. To LL's credit, he stayed and worked to be better, even with a parade of succeeding big men transfers and recruits: Black, Mickelson, Embiid, Alexander, Diallo, Coleby, Bragg, & Azubuike.
His Senior Night speech showed a totally different side than I see in his game face. Very articulate and funny. I love his quote about bringing the NC back to AFH.
The following user(s) said Thank You: porthawk, murphyslaw, Wheatstate Gal

• porthawk
  • porthawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 1 month ago #12122 by porthawk
Thanks for the explanation, guys. Just to be clear, I wasn't trying to insinuate that something there was any bad intent on either side. Just wanted some additional opinions,