Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Kerkhoff on Frank's case for NPOY

• konza63
  • konza63's Avatar Topic Author
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #12036 by konza63
www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-bl...rticle135379249.html

I think he's off in saying it could be close and split across several players. As I commented after the piece:

The race appears close among Mason, Purdue’s Caleb Swanigan, Villanova’s Josh Hart and UCLA’s Lonzo Ball. Some years, the top awards distributed to multiple players make sense, and this could be one of those seasons.

"I strongly beg to differ. None of those players' teams have played the schedule that KU has; the SOS is clear on that subject. None of those players have stepped it up in the biggest of games--against the highest-ranked teams--the way Mason has for KU. And none of those players have the all-around numbers that Frank has. He's by far the best player on the #1 team in the land, and his star has shone brightest when it has been most needed. This season should be a no-brainer for Frank as NPOY, pretty much across the board. If that doesn't happen, it can only be explained by a "flyover country" mentality when it comes to basketball in the heartland--certainly not on merit."

GO FRANK!!! The young man so deserves that award!

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
Last Edit: 7 years 2 months ago by konza63.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, porthawk, Wheatstate Gal

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.