Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Your input on how the season played out

• newtonhawk
  • newtonhawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
7 years 2 months ago #11917 by newtonhawk
Now that we have won the title outright, and seeing we have won the magic number, 14 games, I am curious to hear from you all if things played out the way you thought they would.

I looked back at the Conference Poll created in December by Bayhawk. Click here
It is interesting to see that out of 16 votes (where was everybody?), 15 voted that we would win at least 14 games! Way to go, everyone! Either we are all "homers" or what?

I will admit that I was a bit fearful at the beginning, but I was hoping that Baylor and WVA would suffer attrition throughout the league. It didn't look that way at the beginning, but that was what I was bargaining for. I thought we could take care of business, but honestly thought it would go down to the wire, rather than be clinched this soon.

For those who love to do research, what is the earliest time the outright championship was clinched?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
7 years 2 months ago #11920 by Bayhawk
Takes one to know one! My homer poll was prophetic. . . ;)

RC

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet

More
7 years 2 months ago #11958 by NotOstertag
I picked an optimistic 14, and we could still wind up there, but 16 is still in reach. What surprised me most were unforced errors by both WVU and Baylor.

WVU lost to OU and OSU in Morgantown. Ok, OSU at 9&7 isn't horrible, but the OU win was one of OU's FOUR wins. FOUR. OU won 3 at home and only one on the road. That, ladies and gentlemen, is an unforced error. WVU's 5-3 road record is good, but not great. Losing at KU is understandable, KSU...ok, maybe it's an anti-Huggy thing, and Tech beat Baylor at home too.

Baylor also had unforced errors, but I kind of expect that out of Scot Drew who seems to be perpetually doomed to "almost there"-ness. KU beating them in Waco was huge, but losing to KSU there was a blown opportunity. Baylor going 4-4 on the road certainly fits into the "win your home games, and win half your road games" thing, but the 2 home losses change the algebra on that.

The final note here is, of course, that Baylor still gets to host WVU which could knock WVU down a notch to a tie and leave ISU alone in 2nd place. Of course ISU still plays at WVU.

So to sum it up, the only real blemish on our year is the loss at AFH to ISU, which is nothing to hang our heads about, especially combined with a 7-1 road record in the conference. We overperformed this year.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk, newtonhawk

More
7 years 2 months ago #11989 by hairyhawk
I am really happy that it has gone as well as it has. I voted for 14, if I remember correctly. When Doke went down I was very concerned that our lack of size would doom us in a lot of games but that obviously has not been the case.

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
7 years 2 months ago #11990 by HawkErrant
Not sure, but IIRC I went all in on a cockeyed optimist's 16. Of course, I was allowing for losses @WVU and @OSU, so the loss to ISU may have put a monkey wrench into that projection. And like everyone else I thought the loss of Udoka would really hurt, but other than the ISU loss, it's hard to imagine how we could be in better shape at this point even if we'd had him ready to go.

All in all very pleased with this season, and hopeful for more to be happy about.

But first, close out the AFH season with another Senior Night Victory, Jayhawks!

And a gigantic ROCK CHALK and THANK YOU to the SENIORS!

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk, murphyslaw, newtonhawk

More
7 years 2 months ago #11993 by CorpusJayhawk
I fully admit this season has not played out like I projected. I thought KU would win 13 games and come in 2nd. But I had a suspicion they would possibly win less once Doke went out. I also thought West Virginia had a chance to win 15 games. The meltdown of West Virginia this season has quite frankly, shocked me. They have the talent to dominate. They do not have a Josh Jackson or Frank Mason but they are better at virtually every other position. They have a tendency to play so badly at times it is mind-boggling. Baylor I thought would win 12 games even though their pre-conference season rating said 14. I even thought they might win 12. Scott Drew is simply a mediocre coach at milking the very best out of his players 40 minutes of every game. What we must remember, that 4 blown calls in a game (by a coach) can be the difference in close games. Baylor has that many frequently. Drew loses Baylor at least 2 games a year. Iowa St. has done much better than I anticipated. Bottom line, KU has simply outplayed my expectation. Mason and Jackson are incredible and Lucas and Devonte' have been so solid. It boggle my mind how this team of 4 solid players, 3 iffy players and 2 rarely players, have accomplished what. They have. Thank you Mssr's Lucas, Graham, Jackson and especially Mister Mason. And of course thank you to the other 5. While they have not played at a level normally associated with a top ranked team, they have nonetheless played pretty well and certainly contributed from time to time in key ways.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk, murphyslaw, newtonhawk