Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Officially disgusted - Jackson Charged

• NotOstertag
  • NotOstertag's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 2 months ago #11833 by NotOstertag
The negative drumbeat continues and I think I've officially had enough. Jackson has officially been charged with a misdemeanor for vandalizing a car back in December. I would assume that means an arraignment, a plea, and a fine. It probably also means that he'll miss some court time.

Honestly, I'm willing to say, "chalk up #13, and let's go home". At least this should come as no surprise to the team/program so hopefully Self has planned for the contingency. Nevertheless, legal issues have impacted Bragg, Graham, Vick and Jackson officially, and however many others were questioned regarding the rape/runaway thing.

Sorry for being so negative, but I'm kind of done with this crew.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
7 years 2 months ago #11834 by Bayhawk
And this is an irrelevant but to our disappointment: "Who the hell is making it their life's mission to disparage the KU bball program in the press?" I know it doesn't change the facts, but I would really like to shoot the messenger if only to make me feel better. Freud called it "Frustration/Aggression" :blink: and in my field as a behavior analyst we would call it "Operant Elicited Aggression." :unsure: And at two AM in a bar we call it "Shut your pie-hole!" :woohoo:

Nonetheless, the best way to handle this kind of thing is to PREVENT it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :angry:

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
7 years 2 months ago #11835 by konza63
I'm not happy about it at all, either, but when you say the negative drumbeat continues, the reality is this is just the same case from before. Only now, he's been officially charged. The silver lining for Josh, who by all accounts otherwise appears to be a pretty smart and decent young man, is that it's only a misdemeanor--not a felony, which would've been far worse.

RE the drumbeat, the Star has been the worst at dredging up and repeating every single allegation -- and even charges that proved false and were dismissed, as in Bragg's first incident, where the video later absolved him of guilt. So I don't appreciate that, either, to Bayhawk's point.

At the end of the day, I'm very unhappy at a few of our players' behavior. But I still trust Coach Self to lay the wood behind the scenes and get better control over the situation going forward. He has to be mega-pissed and frustrated by all the unnecessary offcourt coverage too, and I'm sure that's translating into some disciplinary measures with the team--past, present, and/or future.

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.

More
7 years 2 months ago #11836 by Bayhawk
K-man, good point about the recycling of garbage. Good for the environment,:) bad for KU hoops :angry: I'll put in my brown toter (not the blue or green or yellow or red -- welcome to the Bay Area!) for next Wednesday's pick up,

RC

PS: But I still want to punch somebody . . . :ohmy:

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet

• NotOstertag
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 2 months ago #11837 by NotOstertag
Thanks guys. Needed to vent a little. There's just something about getting a notification on my phone, looking down to see the ESPN or KUHoops logo followed with "______arrested" or "_______charged". While I agree that Jackson appears to be a good kid, there's just too much smoke.

I guess I might read too much between the lines. Vick and Jackson out at a bar at 2am. Then for unknown reasons the same girl who Vick had a physical altercation with previously decides to throw a drink at Vick. Then Jackson goes out and allegedly causes damage to her car. The unsaid questions: was being out boozing at 2am a good choice? Was drinking in the same bar as somebody who you've had that kind of problem with before a good choice? After whatever happened happens and Vick gets doused with a drink, is going after the girl in the parking lot the best option?

Then you get Devonte: ok, borrowed a dude's car and the light is out gets a ticket. But what prompted the officer to pull him over this week? I doubt that the cops were staking Devonte out waiting in the bushes to bust him. Speeding? Run a light? Cops don't randomly pull people over hoping that they have a warrant out on them.

Finally, the whole drug paraphernalia/rape thing. Bragg would have never been busted had the cops not gotten access to his room. Why were the cops IN his room investigating an alleged sexual assault? Did Bragg invite them in to interview him but forget to hide his bong, or was his room a potential crime scene?

Sorry to continue to vent here, and I know kids make stupid mistakes, but often times the mistake that results in the arrest and newspaper article is the end result of a long list of bad decisions. I'm not expecting these kids to behave like the knitting club down at the church, but there comes a time where you reach a tipping point of risky behavior where the odds start to catch up to you.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: newtonhawk

More
  • HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
7 years 2 months ago #11839 by HawkErrant
I can't imagine there won't be one given the way the Bragg situation was handled.

Question will be for how long?

Since the plea hearing won't be until April 12 (NC game is April 3), would Self possibly bench him for the rest of this season and post-season?

Have to figure no, since JJ may plead not guilty and fight the charge. But have to believe there will be SOME suspension occurring.

If he is guilty, perhaps the can move now to work out a plea deal before the hearing, so JJ can return to play once everything is settled? Similar to Bragg's deal? Maybe miss the last 3 games of the season but not the post-season?

For sure Self could suspend him just for breaking team curfew rules and Kansas underage drinking laws. He's old for a freshman (turned 20 two weeks ago, so he's still underage), and I doubt JJ would get 3.2 beer served to him by a supervising parent in a local bar at 2 a.m.

Waiting to see what comes out of the KUAD today. From the story linked by JR --
"His status with the team wasn’t immediately clear Friday morning. Associate athletics director for public affairs Jim Marchiony said that KU Athletics would release a statement later in the day."

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 2 months ago #11840 by Wheatstate Gal
Like the new avatar, HE. (I liked the previous one, too)

Good message.

'nuff said from me right now......
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 2 months ago #11841 by Wheatstate Gal
"shut your pie hole".....made me laugh.....I needed a giggle.

Not a happy camper today......

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 2 months ago #11842 by Wheatstate Gal
maybe being "grounded" and sitting on his little skinny butt in McCarthy Hall on Saturday, while his team mates represent KU will.......Nah, no chance.

How can some of these little knuckleheads keep their heads on straight and themselves out of trouble for 4 or 5 years.....and he didn't even make it thru December????

Ah, youth....need to make the connection between actions and consequences PRIOR to the deed.

rme.........

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
7 years 2 months ago #11843 by HawkErrant
I must confess to being surprised at this.

Nonetheless, as the linked story below notes, JJ has offered to pay for the damage, so it's hard to see a real case for moving forward on the charges, unless the plaintiff is just flat out to get him. Since she is reportedly a KU athlete, I have a hard time imaging the latter. Just have to wait and see, I reckon (doing my best Buddy Ebsen expectoratin' due to my chaw...)

www2.kusports.com/news/2017/feb/24/ku-ba...arged-property-dama/

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

More
7 years 2 months ago #11848 by newtonhawk
I was reading the comments under the LJW article, and my favorite was from Adam Collins,

"If I were Jackson I would be more worried about what's going to happen when I see Apples again..." (referring to his mom).

I would tend to agree! :-)

More
7 years 2 months ago #11849 by LKF_HAWK
This team is so fun to root for in the court but they need to handle their business better off the court. HCBS should sit JJ's but, but according to all the stories JJ is not being benched. IMHO this sends the wrong message to JJ, the team and Carlton. I don't agree with HCBS on his decision not to sit JJ.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JRhawk

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
7 years 2 months ago #11851 by konza63
I was hoping for a one-game suspension so at least felt some pain of not traveling with the team to potentially win the crown outright, but then was hoping he'd be reinstated for Frank's and Landen's big Senior Night.

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.

More
7 years 2 months ago #11853 by denster
testosterone and stupidity strikes again. Really not new news, kind of knew this was going to come up eventually from all the news in the recent past. I think we've seen plenty of this on past teams... Giddins, Tharpe, the morris twins, morningstar, a juco transfer that got into an altercation with his girlfriend. We have young men that really don't know how to control their emotions. Things like this are going to happen. Doesn't make it right. They should be held accountable. But I don't think I am that surprised. I am just glad that I am not under the microscope like these kids are. I think newtonhawk got it right, he may really regret it when his mom gets ahold of him.

More
7 years 2 months ago #11867 by denster

More
7 years 2 months ago #11878 by RobS
One of the top 5 picks in the next NBA draft does less than $1000 damage to your car. I can understand wanting to cause the vandal a bit of stress, but I would think a financial arrangement could be made. Unless the victim is really, really vindictive.

But yes, the streak of behavior issues this year is appalling. It wouldn't be as bad if the rape situation had some kind of resolution that would clear, or mostly clear the players, but even if that comes to pass this is still messed up.

Mongo just pawn in game of life.

• NotOstertag
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 2 months ago #11884 by NotOstertag
Clearly there's a back-story here that is being held closely between the men's and women's programs. Seems to point to some share of the guilt between all parties. Doesn't make what JJ did right, but "the rest of the story" is likely why we'll see Josh in uniform later today.

More
7 years 2 months ago #11889 by denster
Sounds like JJ was defending his friend who may not have been able to say or do anything.

• texkan
  • Ring my Bell, if you can find it! ;)
More
7 years 2 months ago #11892 by texkan
...Tyler's BIG night, too. ;P