Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Carlton Bragg looked more like the player KU hoped for (LJW)

• porthawk
  • porthawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 2 months ago #11830 by porthawk
The following user(s) said Thank You: murphyslaw

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #11831 by konza63
I'm with Josh Jackson on Bragg's strong one-game performance:

Star KU freshman Josh Jackson thought Bragg played a critical role in the win.

“In my opinion,” Jackson said, “best game of the year so far, and hopefully we get to see more.”

I thought it was by far Bragg's most dominant game of the year. Not only due to the results (15 points, 7 rebounds, 3 blocks), but the nature of how he played. He didn't resort to his typical "nuance" (softer) game. Instead, he battled inside and played a muscular, tough game. He fought for rebounding position. He fought to finish bunnies against pressure. He threw down some thunderous dunks off of VERY athletic, high-flying second-chance cutbacks. He blocked some TCU shots with authority when they were still very much in the game or ahead in the first half. And he did all of that on a night when Landen was in a bit of a funk, offensively and with foul trouble.

All of that being said, it's just one game. Let's see him do it for several games in a row, so that it represents a pattern rather than an anomaly. If it becomes the former, LOOK OUT. Because it will mean this KU team will have started to resolve its one remaining shortcoming -- frontcourt strength and depth -- that just about every basketball analyst raises when they ponder why or how KU could fall short of a Final Four or NC run.

Please, please let it be the start of something good. Really, really good.

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
Last Edit: 7 years 2 months ago by konza63.

More
7 years 2 months ago #11832 by murphyslaw
Certainly hope this is the start of something good!

May the basketball gods and the spirits of Allen Fieldhouse forgive me, but at one point I actually wondered if he was lacking the intellectual capacity to play the game. After awhile, "Big goofy kid" wasn't a good enough excuse!