Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Whatever happened to Conner Frankamp? ;)

• NotOstertag
  • NotOstertag's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 2 months ago #11699 by NotOstertag
I see that Wichita State is leading the Missouri Valley and are now on the right side of the bubble to get an at large birth to the NCAA. Some have even mentioned that we might see them in the tourney.

With this in mind, I mentally wandered back to Conner Frankamp and his decision to leave KU. Looking at that decision and where everyone is today, it comes to mind that had he stayed, he'd be playing alongside Frank Mason. The rest of that recruiting class did pretty well: Wiggins, Embiid, Selden and Greene.

While Conner has had a good couple of years at WSU, it makes me wonder what "could have been". Would a backcourt of Mason/Frankamp been better than Mason/Graham? Where would Svi and Vick sit in the rotation had Conner stayed? Would we have gotten a kid like Jackson?

Again, just thinking about what could have been. I think we came out just fine, and if his dad was as much of a pain in the butt as it sounded like he was, we're better off. At the same time, he lost a year of eligibility and seldom gets to play on national TV. From my jaded position, I can't imagine that he somehow can't help but regret his decision.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
7 years 2 months ago #11700 by JRhawk
A strange topic line, when you know perfectly well what happened to him. It's anyone's guess as to whether he is sorry about transferring - personally, I doubt it. He is doing well at WSU.
Of that KU class, only Wiggins & Embiid are in the NBA - Selden and Greene are in the D league. Speaking of someone who should have stayed at KU, I would submit Selden's name.
Link: http://www.goshockers.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=2946&path=m_bkb

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
7 years 2 months ago #11701 by HawkErrant
I hear ya re: Selden, JR, but I'm rather glad he did not stay. I personally never saw the fight in him that I see in the guys in this year's version of the team. And as talented as Wayne was, they always say it's often not the dog in the fight, it's the fight in the dog. I continue to wish him all the best, and thank him for the three years he dedicated to our alma mater.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

More
7 years 2 months ago #11702 by JRhawk
I would agree in spades about Greene leaving, but not Selden, especially due to the marked lack of depth on this team. I fear somewhere along the line it will bite us big time.

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
7 years 2 months ago #11704 by HawkErrant
Guard depth really is not an issue with this squad IMO. If Wayne was a big, or at least played like a big, sure, it would be great to have him still, but he's not and seldom played larger than his actual stature IIRC.

You only addressed Selden staying, so I didn't comment on BG. I agree with you on him. Much rather have Malik waiting in the wings for next year than BG stirring up the chemistry and contributing no D this year.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

• NotOstertag
  • NotOstertag's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 2 months ago #11705 by NotOstertag
Clearly I know where Conner is and what he's doing, and I wish him well. He just crossed my radar which prompted me to go look back to that freshman class. Wiggins and Embiid were certain 1-and-dones, yet Andrew is now a veteran, and it's taken Joel a few years to finally get on the court. Greene never really developed, and Selden, despite freakish athleticism, probably should have stuck around for another year.

I never would have predicted Frank's trajectory, nor his status as a potential POY.

Had Frankamp stuck, I think he'd be in heavy rotation now, and competing with Devote and maybe Svi for minutes.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

More
7 years 2 months ago #11706 by big g
sorry Not O, i rarely disagree but must here. with his matador defense AND lack of size i dont think he wld be taking minutes away from anyone in the current rotation. plus he obvi has personal issues hes fighting which cant be good for the locker room. personally happy hes 2 hrs southwest on the turnpike

More
7 years 2 months ago #11707 by JRhawk
I agree that when he was at KU, Conner's defense left a lot to be desired. He has improved a fair bit in the last year. About his lack of size, KU listed him at 6', WSU has him now at 6'1". Frank Mason was and is 5'11".
I am very happy he is at WSU, but for reasons different than yours.

More
7 years 2 months ago #11709 by jayhawk969
Right now we are predicted to play WSU in the 2nd round if we both win our first games in OKC, :)

More
7 years 2 months ago #11710 by JRhawk
I guess you are referring to ESPN's Joe Lunardi's latest bracket - he likes to think he is funny. BTW, the games are in Tulsa. CBS's Jerry Palm doesn't even have WSU in the bracket - of course with the MVC, only their tourney winner is guaranteed an NCAA slot. Palm has Ill St in. Fox has WSU in Baylor's Tulsa bracket - I like that. The Bracket Matrix has 113 total brackets now. Hopefully the selection committee won't think it's funny to pair KU & WSU again.

More
7 years 2 months ago #11752 by mtnMan
And what about Andrew White, now throwing up 20 points many nights for the Orange guys
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, NotOstertag