Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Contemplating Svi

• AZhawk87
  • AZhawk87's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 2 months ago #11634 by AZhawk87
There is a lot being written and commented on this week about Svi. His atrocious performance against Baylor, and getting dressed down by Graham, Lucas and Self during the game. Vick taking his starting spot. And so on.

Beyond his role for KU this season, I've wondered now what his future is. He's still so young, but nearing the end of his college career.

He's a good kid, is a very good (but not yet great) player, and he has decisions to make now. I absolutely don't believe he's an NBA player yet, other than his made for NBA lack of defensive intensity. He's a solid shooter when not pressured. When pressured, he's as likely to airball a three as make it. His handle and driving ability is much improved, His passing is very good. He plays much smaller than his 6-8 frame.

But, if he's not ready for the NBA, and is highly unlikely to be a first rounder, what does he do next year? I believe there is an inherent bias against four year college players, unless you're a Buddy Hield and have a monster senior year. The latest mock drafts have the first eight spots being freshmen. If he stays, then he has to be dominant next year, and that's unlikely given our returning roster and recruits. If he goes pro, he has a long journey to make it out of NBDL. Could Euro ball be the answer, if nothing else to earn a little money and have NBA teams look at him as a Euro prospect instead of a four year college kid?

I hope he rises to the occasion over the next month, which would mean a lot for KU's prospects in the tourney. We need him to be very good. That also may give him more options for his future, which I hope is very bright for him.

RC.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
7 years 2 months ago #11635 by MountainHawk
Too funny: "his made for NBA lack of defensive intensity”.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

More
7 years 2 months ago #11654 by JRhawk
I hope he plays a major role in winning the NC this year. Then stays to help win another next year in San Antonio. As for post college career, if I were betting, would say see me in Europe. Not only is he from there, I feel it suits his game. As for the "NBA Dream", one can look at the list of former Jayhawks in the D league (to be G (Gatorade) league in 17-18): Perry Ellis, Wayne Selden, Jr, Brannen Greene, Cliff Alexander, & Xavier Henry.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 2 months ago #11655 by Wheatstate Gal
The "League Dream" can result in a cruel awakening.......

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
7 years 2 months ago #11678 by konza63
I'm with you on this, JR:

"I hope he plays a major role in winning the NC this year. Then stays to help win another next year in San Antonio."

He has a role on our team, and he's helped us get as far as we have, despite the voiced concerns. Here's to onward and upward!

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.

• NotOstertag
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 2 months ago #11686 by NotOstertag
I love him, but he hasn't had an opportunity to showcase his skills in our system. If he had stayed in Ukraine, he'd probably have turned more heads playing as "the guy" in a weaker competition pool.

That said, it seemed like he was out to lunch vs. Baylor. Two giveaways early in the game, and noncommital defense isn't what we need from him.

I'm comforted by the fact that his parents are both college professors and he's young. There's no "stigma" if he comes back for another year, and I hope he does.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot