Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

KU's incredible impact on the Game, cont. (With a trivia question)

More
7 years 2 months ago #11675 by OreadExpress
When he came to a fork in the road of his coaching career, Pop took it* and what a difference maker it proved to be. Thanks for bringing this interesting bit of trivia to the board!

*Apologies to Yogi Berra

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• konza63
  • konza63's Avatar Topic Author
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #11676 by konza63
Here is the backdrop on Gregg "Pop" Popovich and the long arm of KU basketball:

Popovich had a pivotal stint in 1986-87 when he came to KU on a sabbatical to learn at the side of Larry Brown.

This is the key excerpt from the article that I read yesterday, which first brought this to my attention -- staggeringly so:

[While serving as head coach at Division III Pomona-Pitzer] "He was always looking for the little advantages, a hallmark later of his coaching career, and he discovered that his professorship allowed for a one-year sabbatical. He spent it as a volunteer assistant at the University of Kansas, one of college basketball’s most prestigious programs. During that year, Popovich was such an eager volunteer assistant, such a tireless learner, so determined to be heard and noticed that legendary coach Larry Brown would indeed remember him and, in 1988, offer him a job with the Spurs. It was a startling career jump from basketball’s low rungs to its mountaintop, even for a talented coach. Other than two seasons as an assistant coach with the Golden State Warriors in the early 1990s, Popovich has been in San Antonio since."

Source: www.washingtonpost.com/sports/wizards/sp...m_term=.3637c2c5bf8b

I then confirmed it on Pop's wiki entry last night:

"During his time as head coach at Pomona-Pitzer, Popovich became a disciple and later a close friend of head coach Larry Brown at the University of Kansas. Popovich took off the 1985–1986 season at Pomona-Pitzer to become a volunteer assistant at Kansas, where he could study directly under Brown."

Source: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gregg_Popovich#cite_note-USAB-3

Note: the Wiki text entry has a discrepancy on which year it was, citing 1985-86 (which was that other-worldly KU team that many of us remember as one of the greatest of all time). In the timeline sidebar, it actually cites 1986-87, which tracks with his coaching timeline at Pomona-Pitzer, since it shows him returning for one final season there, in 1987-88.

It's truly phenomenal to think about. Pop is in the pantheon of the greatest coaches in NBA history--and basketball history overall. He shares the all-time record for the most winning seasons in a row (20 and counting) in the NBA. He has FIVE championship rings to his name, is only one of nine coaches to win 1,000 career NBA games, and is the longest tenured active coach in both the NBA and all US major sports leagues.

And to think...it all, ultimately, came about based on his stint with Larry Brown at KU, when Kansas basketball was in the midst of its glorious revival. The KU assistant role he was given resulted in Larry subsequently asking him to come on Larry's staff at San Antonio. Until that time, Popovich was seemingly on the road to Nowheresville, toiling at Division III Pomona as a complete unknown, with a putrid coaching record. But then came the pivotal career boost and break, which came about because of his stint with Larry at the University of Kansas!

Incredible. And I can't believe it's not more widely known...

Credit to Kent Babb of the Post for wedging it into his piece as a factoid. And I'm very thankful I chose to wade through that long piece to come across it. I was blown away when I read it! Wow. Just. Wow.

Naismith. Allen. McLendon. Rupp. Smith. Miller. Calipari. Self. Popovich! (Among others...) :)

The tradition speaks for itself.

Rock Chalk...

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
Last Edit: 7 years 2 months ago by konza63.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jayhawk969, jaythawk1

• konza63
More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #11677 by konza63
Oread appears to have an encyclopedic mind, but I'm not sure how he knew this little-known tidbit.

Next in line were RainyHawk, HairyHawk, and JRhawk, each of whom guessed it based on the little clue I gave (not yet hanging up his spurs). :-)

Fun stuff.

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JRhawk

More
7 years 2 months ago #11679 by jayhawk969
Excellent quiz would never have gotten the answer :)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gregg_Popovich

More
7 years 2 months ago #11680 by OreadExpress
I remembered a time when Chris Piper mentioned Pop being around one season, showing up around the end of the (calendar) year and sticking with the team the remainder of the year. Not sure what the occasion of the interview was to bring that point up...He mentioned him being in the gym and lending advice, just showing up and joining in to hear him talk about it. Guess that would have been his junior year if the timeline is right.

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
7 years 2 months ago #11692 by HawkErrant
Should not have limited myself to college coaches.

Got a link to the article you were reading?

Thanks, been fun!

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

• konza63
More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #11693 by konza63
HE: The article link (and KU-related key excerpt) is provided in the lengthy explanation post below. Posted right after the big "reveal.":-)

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #11694 by HawkErrant
My reply was in response to your page 1 comment.

Sorry about that!

And thanks again!

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
Last Edit: 7 years 2 months ago by HawkErrant.

More
7 years 2 months ago #11697 by JRhawk
Konza - thanks for the ? and also thanks for staying in the game, so to speak. That made it more fun. I guess you had President's Day off? I do have a bone to pick though - I had planned to accomplish several errands, but got drawn into trying to solve the mystery (after spending a fair bit of Sunday trying to solve CJ's mystery). So today is major errand day,

• konza63
More
7 years 2 months ago #11698 by konza63
Haha, sorry, JR! ? You definitely take these trivia quests seriously.

Yes, we were off yesterday, though I did get to dig out a little after the week back home caring for my Mom.

Hope your day is productive!

More
7 years 2 months ago #11717 by JoJoHawk
Before reading any responses, I will say Greg Popovich who I think did a self directed sabbatical at KU in the late '80s. Now I'll read on.

• konza63
More
7 years 2 months ago #11718 by konza63
Ding ding ding ding!

Great job, JoJoHawk!

You're one of the few that knew this outright. It seems to be a little-known fact that lends yet another layer of credence to the notion that KU is a vaunted cathedral of basketball.