Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

KU's incredible impact on the Game, cont. (With a trivia question)

• konza63
  • konza63's Avatar Topic Author
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #11623 by konza63
I just read a really good article tonight, and came across a fascinating little tidbit that -- yet again -- underscored the extensive, exceptional, and almost surreal ripple effects and tentacles that KU basketball has had on the game. Before I reveal the full outtake, I'll pose it as a trivia question for this esteemed board -- knowing that we have great KU basketball history buffs and trivia mavens.

Without further ado:

We all know that the likes of Phog Allen (Naismith student), John McLendon (Naismith student), Dean Smith (Allen student), Adolph Rupp (Allen student), Ralph Miller (Allen student), John Calipari (Brown intern), Bill Self (Brown intern), and Mark Turgeon (Brown intern) all trace their coaching learnings, game experience, and pivotal breaks in the game to our beloved alma mater.

Missing from that list, however, is a famous coach that also, as it turns out, had a pivotal learning experience in his early career at the University of Kansas, and indeed got his first break -- on the path to an exceptional career -- based on his stint with the KU men's basketball program.

Can you name the coach I am referring to, and the year he spent at KU that proved critical in the ultimate takeoff of his career?

(If I stump the full board, which is doubtful, I'll roll out some helpful hints as we proceed...)

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
Last Edit: 7 years 2 months ago by konza63.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OreadExpress

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
7 years 2 months ago #11624 by HawkErrant
Only one I can think of that you didn't mention was Naismith HoF member Dutch Lonborg (Allen student, 1920s), but he spent more than 1 year with Phog. The way you phrased the question, I'm thinking you are referring to someone more recent?

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

More
7 years 2 months ago #11626 by OreadExpress
This could be fun if it goes awhile. It would be fun to see some names brought up that maybe don't get mentioned very often.

I have a pretty good idea of who our mystery coach is, but I will take the opportunity in the meantime to offer a couple of other names from the constellations of stars representing Kansas basketball.

So, like HE mentioning Lonborg, who would not seem to fit the criteria for this particular situation, I will note another from the distant past that is not the answer Konza is looking for--- Kansas native, John Bunn.

Bunn played for Phog 3 seasons, Asst. Coach for another 9 before becoming head coach at Stanford. There he struggled to show much success the first few seasons before his final 3 years there where the team won 80% of their games. The '36-'37 cagers finished 25-2 and were retroactively proclaimed the Helms National Champions (same as two of KU's championships). That year's winning percentage has been eclipsed only once in the ensuing years.

He's a Naismith HoF member and has the distinction of having an award given annually by the HoF in his honor for "Lifetime Achievement".

Rock Chalk Jayhawk.

• konza63
More
7 years 2 months ago #11627 by konza63
These stories are so fascinating. I wasn't aware of Bunn and his relation to the KU "tree." Thanks, Oread!

And thanks for holding out a bit on the mystery coach. I'd like to let this play out a bit. I was stunned that I didn't know this before reading it yesterday.

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.

• konza63
More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #11628 by konza63
To HE:

Yep, he's more recent. And far more accomplished than Lonborg. Far, far more.

More
7 years 2 months ago #11629 by OreadExpress
Here's my second (incorrect) answer of another coach with KU roots.

Kansas native, Ralph Miller lettered 3 seasons playing for Phog before graduating in 1941 where he learned the fundamentals of playing and coaching. After serving his country in the USAAF during WW 2, Miller did not land a college coaching position until 1952 with WSU (then University of Wichita) but was a head coach from then through the 88-89 season at Oregon State. At retirement he was 6th on the all-time winningest coaches list with 657 wins.

He never managed a national championship, but was a successful coach at three universities (University of Iowa being the second between those mentioned above) and was known for his own brand of defense aka "Pressure Basketball". In an undefeated Big 10 campaign in 1970 the Hawkeyes averaged over 100 pts/game.

Miller was inducted into the Naismith HoF in 1988 as a coach, the same year as Lovellette entered as a player.

1966 SI article on Miller

• konza63
More
7 years 2 months ago #11630 by konza63
Great stuff again, and I mentioned Miller in my tee-up to the question. But as you correctly deduced, it's not him.

More
7 years 2 months ago #11632 by OreadExpress
So you did. Oops...

The history behind even the more common associated names is fascinating.

McClendon is another eye popping cornerstone to the game with his innovation and association with the color barrier.

More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #11637 by OreadExpress
Well, since I already stepped in it with my last non-answer that was listed in Konza's original post, and I am enjoying this chance to review some Kansas related basketball history, here's a little more about John McLendon...

Kansas native, John McLendon never laced up for the Jayhawks as his years at KU came before integration anywhere, let alone on the hardwood. His 1936 graduation in Phys Ed represented the first by an African-American in that majorat KU. McLendon learned about the game from Phog Allen and James Naismith, even though he could never apply that knowledge on the court while there.

McLendon spent the bulk of his coaching career at predominantly black colleges and was a successful coach in the small college ranks overall except for his final stop at Cleveland State where he had a losing record as the first African-American coach at a predominantly white university. He is also known for his association with "The Secret Game", a scrimmage his black North Carolina College held against Duke in 1944 in a closed gym in Durham. McLendon's fast break style of play led to a route of Duke that day, 88-44. It is likely that a McLendon coached team could have been a NCAA/consensus national champion given other circumstances allowing for integrated competition...his fast style of play was that innovative. His successes include multiple CIAA championships and 3 NAIA national championships, no small accomplishment in itself.

He has the distinction of being the only two-time Naismith HoF inductee as Contributor (1978) for his pioneering development of the fast break and Coach (2016) as the first professional coach of African-American descent among other firsts related to his moving beyond racial barriers.

For those who enjoy reading about Sports history, there are a couple of excellent books- Breaking Through by Milton Katz and a recent work by Scott Ellsworth called The Secret Game
Last Edit: 7 years 2 months ago by OreadExpress.
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, HawkErrant

• konza63
More
7 years 2 months ago #11638 by konza63
Great stuff, Oread. Along with all of the great historical RCB posts on McLendon by HE, the board members have a much better appreciation for his accomplishments and legacy.

• konza63
More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #11639 by konza63
The Mystery coach in question started his career poorly, with 5 out of 7 losing seasons (and a 69-108 record) prior to his life-changing stop at KU.

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
7 years 2 months ago #11643 by HawkErrant
OreadExpress -- I had forgotten about John Bunn, thanks for bringing him up!

Konza63 -- you've got me stumped, amigo. I know it's not John Wooden, who spent the summer of 1927 (between his junior and senior years in HS) working at KU at Phog Allen's invitation. Wooden helped build the north bowl of Memorial Stadium .

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63

• konza63
More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #11644 by konza63
I'll start making this increasingly "hot" or more apparent as I go. It's just kind of fun, per OreadExpress's suggestion, to string it out a little bit. Much like eating a piece of chocolate cake with a warm chocolate liquid center, the "prize" in this case is very rewarding!

Hint #2: He's notched 20 straight winning seasons, tying him for the all-time consecutive winning seasons record in his league.

More
7 years 2 months ago #11647 by OreadExpress
Good stuff! I had not seen that before. It would seem Coach Wooden was quite happy to be able to share that story with an Allen descendant.

• konza63
More
7 years 2 months ago #11660 by konza63
He is still an active coach; hasn't hung up his spurs yet... :whistle:

More
7 years 2 months ago #11661 by rainyhawk
I cheated with a very quick google search and found the answer but feel I'm not worthy of making the guess because of that. Your last clue clinched that I'm correct though! Good one.

More
7 years 2 months ago #11664 by hairyhawk
That last clue did it for me. I think I know the answer but I will hold out for a little before I say unless k63 wants me to make a guess.

More
7 years 2 months ago #11667 by jayhawk969
Kevin Stallings comes close but has had a couple losing seasons in the last 20 years.

More
7 years 2 months ago #11668 by JRhawk
Same for me as Rainyhawk (your last hint). After reading CorpusJayhawk's answer, thought it was tricky, but think your ? takes the cake.

• konza63
More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #11673 by konza63

As a child of four can plainly see, this envelope has been hermetically sealed. It's been kept in a mayonnaise jar on Funk and Wagnalls' porch since noon today. No one knows the contents of this envelope – but you, RCBers, have determined the answer in your mystical and borderline divine way.

Without further ado, the answer is...

Gregg Popovich