Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

We KU fans are so blessed and fortunate...

• konza63
  • konza63's Avatar Topic Author
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
7 years 2 months ago #11602 by konza63
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. We are some of the luckiest fans on the planet to have a program as distinguished, well-coached, and exceptional in its winning tradition as KU basketball. We are equally fortunate to have a truly top-tier elite coach like Bill Self overseeing our program and young men.

Year-in and year-out, we perform at the highest of levels. We play amongst the toughest of schedules. We grind out championships in a very competitive conference (one that is far more so than the SEC, PAC-12, and the vast majority of other conferences). We lose great players to the league and graduation, but new kids come in and grow, advance, and thrive before our eyes.

I love this year's team. For some reason, I haven't been able to say that about every KU team in recent years, but this one is really special. I think it all starts with two humble seniors who have grown into their roles and are clear leaders: Frank and Landen. But the supporting cast is solid as well, and I can't say that I've ever admired and respected a one-and-done freshman as I do Josh. Why? Because he bought in from day one on two things: the KU tradition, and absorbing all learnings from Coach. He clearly loves our program, and is very proud to represent it. And that lessens the blow somewhat of him departing after just one season. The other factor, of course, is seeing Bill Self shine again, yet shine even more brightly due to the fact that this is the year for #13, to tie the great UCLA dynasty teams of an era which was so vastly different from today's hyper-competitive NCAA landscape. I would add that it's a year in which Coach Self has been nominated to enter the prestigious Naismith Hall of Fame. It's a special year, one in which we are about to notch #13, Self could enter the Hall, Frank could earn NPOY, and we have a legit shot at making a run to the NC in April.

I told my 12-year-old son tonight, "Son, you and I are very blessed to have a program like KU to root for and be part of. There are so many fans out there who would give anything to have a program with our level of excellence and consistency."

I know that may seem "cheesy" to bring up, but I just wanted to underscore the sentiment, at least on my end, as the season winds down.

Rock Chalk...

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, JRhawk, jayhawk969, porthawk, JhawkMom, murphyslaw

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
7 years 2 months ago #11607 by JRhawk
I certainly agree and not cheesy at all, IMHO. KU has had many great era's, but the Self era may be the greatest of all. It seems HCBS is getting better each year. 13 straight is phenomenal. That and the "Original Rules" and new facilities indeed add to the list. RCJHKU!

More
7 years 2 months ago #11608 by CorpusJayhawk
Just a little trip down memory lane. Here are the seniors under Coach Self (although not all recruited by him.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, HawkErrant, JRhawk, Bayhawk, jayhawk969, Wheatstate Gal

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 2 months ago #11612 by Wheatstate Gal
I couldn't have named 'em all....but I sure remember them!

i have a feeling this may be a teary Sr night in the WSG home..... :-(

I imagine esp teary tor Coach and Tyler. Many years ago Bob Knight even got to me in a sentimental way when Patrick was a sr at IU.

I'm too old for this...snatching wins from the jaws of defeat and emotional Sr nights!

More
7 years 2 months ago #11613 by CorpusJayhawk
Every Jayhawk Sr on senior night is special but some classes stand out.

2017 - Lucas. Mason, Self -- Coaches son, one of the greatest PG's to play at KU having one of the greatest seasons and perhaps a NPOY, a lowly recruited big that stuck with it and through sheer discipline, determination and listening to the coaches, turned himself into the best one man front court in the nation.

2008 - Jackson, Robinson, Kahn -- Hard to top this class. Big 12 champs, (would later deliver a NC), Jackson a kid who had so much strife in his young life and ended up working his way into being a starter and key guy on a NC team, Robinson, the quiet assassin, one of the most selfless team players, whose sheer NYC tough determination made him a critical piece to a championship team, Kahn, one of the truly kindest and nicest players to play at KU who migrated from Siberia and all that entails who did whatever the team needed it and turned himself into a force. And let's not forget, this freshman class started the current run for 13!!!!!

2005 - Langford, Simien, Miles -- Hard to top this trio for what they accomplished. This senior class started the run for 13. Langford, one of the best pure scorers and slashers to play at KU, the guy who you really wanted to have the ball when we absolutely needed a shot. 7th all-time points and 9th all-time minutes as well as other highly placed stats. Simien, one of the most dominant players to play at KU. Came out of nearby Leavenworth never doubting he would be a Jayhawk. 15th all-time scoring and 7th all-time rebounding and other highly placed stats. A classy person by all standards with a totally unstoppable low post turnaround. Miles, Mr. assist. Shattered Jacque Vaughn's assist record and started 4 years for the Jayhawks.

2003 - Hinrich, Collison -- Talk about accomplishment. 2 FF's

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: JRhawk, porthawk, KMT

• konza63
  • konza63's Avatar Topic Author
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #11621 by konza63
That's a great walk down memory lane, Corpus.

And while we're on that walk, it made me think of meeting RussRob in person at the Capitol Hill national championship celebration when the team visited after the great '08 tournament.

I'm hoping this shot from that time will post. It's not my best personal picture (LOL), but RussRob sure looks svelte!

imgur.com/a/JezdL

I'll always fondly remember that guy, and all of the others on your list. Great, great memories!

Rock Chalk...

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
Last Edit: 7 years 2 months ago by konza63.

More
7 years 2 months ago #11622 by Bayhawk
;) :)

RC

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet