Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Play Ratings

• CorpusJayhawk
  • CorpusJayhawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 2 months ago #11483 by CorpusJayhawk
This team is a little unusual from past teams. The player ratings have not always been outstanding but we keep winning. That is a real testimony to the grit and mental toughness and no doubt great coaching. To be sure, there have been some outstanding player ratings. In fact, the average player ratings for the season have Frank Mason and Josh Jackson higher than anyone has ever had for a season since I have been tracking. We are truly witnessing something special this season. Wiggins, Oubre, McLemore were all special players as was Xavier. But my money is on Jackson as the most exciting and special KU freshman. And Mason is having as good a season as any player has had in a long long time. Here is my assessment of players based on ratings

Mason: Outstanding year. Along with Jackson our most consistent player Has only had 3 really truly disappoint games. K-State in Lawrence, West Virginia in Morgantown and Texas Tech in Lubbock. Frank is definitely better in Allen Fieldhouse. Franks 0.81 per minute rating tops anyone since I have been recording with the exception of Joel Embiid and frontcourt players have a slight advantage in the ratings. Wiggins was at 0.70 and the best true back court player was Frank last season at 0.67.

Jackson: Like most freshman has had flashes of unparalleled greatness. The difference with Josh and most freshman is his bad games have still been pretty good. The only true disappointing was TCU in Fort Worth. And that was not horrendous. It was pretty bad though. He has had some definite mediocre games but has been amazingly steady. Jackson is at 0.80 oer minute better than Wiggins (0.70) and Oubre (0.63) by a large amount.

Lucas: Lucas started the 1st 6 games looking worse than when he was really bad as a freshman. It was worse than worse. Since then, he has been pretty consistently solid. He is still not what you would want ideally as the centerpiece of your front court but Landen does more with less than just about any player I can remember. His 0.64 is very good but not great. Certainly solid for a starter.

Graham: Devonte' has had his fair share of criticism. He has been up and down and certainly can and should play better on a consistent basis. But given that his overall rating is 2nd only to Frank and his rating per minute is third I am not to quick to criticize. He does need to be more consistent, as I said. He has been in a sort of funk the last 7 games. Part of that is just the competition.

Svi: Svi has been consistent, unfortunately it is consistently mediocre. Ideally you would like for every starter to be at 0.60 per minute or more. Svi Svi has not been at that level for 14 games. His defense is a problem more often that it should be. We definitely need for Svi to step it up.

Vick: Vick was a monster against West Virginia and that was a key for us. But he has been very inconsistent and not nearly as good as we need. His per minute rating is 0.44. That is not good enough.

Bragg: What is there to say. Not much good, that is for sure. He was strong against K-State but beyond pathetic other than that. He is the poster child for inconsistent. Since Big 12 play started. I am really not sure what to think about Bragg. You keep thinking he must have potential but he has been so so bad at times that you really wonder what is going on.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.