Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

I don't know if it's irony, but...

• porthawk
  • porthawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 2 months ago #11400 by porthawk
...it was certainly amusing to hear Huggins whine about KU shooting so many free throws.

He felt that if not for intentional fouls by KU in the last 2:45, the disparity was a bit too high for his liking.

Here's the video (West Virginia Coach wasn't happy about the number of free throws in loss to Kansas)
www.kansascity.com/sports/college/big-12...4.html#storylink=cpy

Plus, it was very cool that OUR press turned THEM over 2 or 3 times in the last 2 minutes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
7 years 2 months ago #11406 by HawkErrant
He coaches a style that has his players hack away, figuring the refs are not going to call them all, then complains when the refs don't play along and call more than he expects them to call.

And then his team loses because in crunch time the other team plays his signature defense better than his team does.

Yeah, it's irony.

Gotta luv it!

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

• porthawk
  • porthawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 2 months ago #11407 by porthawk
Nicely explained, HE. Thanks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #11414 by konza63
Totally. And he glosses over the fact that the Hawks only had 2 less fouls called against them. It's just that WVU committed the bulk of theirs in the 2nd half and put us into the early bonus. THAT is why we got to the line so much.

I like Huggins generally, but when you live by the hack, you sometimes die by the hack. And we won that game by sheer toughness, fight, a higher will to win, and an uncanny, methodical extension of the game from the 2:50 mark to the end of regulation.

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
Last Edit: 7 years 2 months ago by konza63.

More
7 years 2 months ago #11421 by NotOstertag
I guess the early grape crop in Morgantown is coming in sour...

Exactly spot on, the fouls were very even during the game. I also don't think KU had much of a role in WVU throwing the ball away, or bouncing it off their own leg after an uncontested rebound.

As I mentioned previously, as much as it was an incredible KU comeback, it was an equally amazing WVU collapse. Had they even played at half the level that they'd played at in the first 37 minutes of the game, they'd have gotten the W.

Sorry Huggy. You guys blew it.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot