Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

10 Game Stretch @ISU - @Baylor

• KMT
  • KMT's Avatar Topic Author
More
7 years 2 months ago #11394 by KMT
Sorry if similar has been posted previously....

I remember looking at the schedule of when we started this section of our schdule: going to Ames (always a tough place, but then again what isn't a tough place anymore in the Big XII) through the trip at Baylor and thinking, damn...a long tough road.

When we play Baylor Saturday, I calculated the cumulative W-L of our opponents (records at the point that we played them) and arrived at 143-54 (73%); sans Texas, it was 136-42 (76%).

I don't ever recall such a stretch where there wasn't at least one or two breather games...and I'm not convinced Monday is going to be a breather game, could be a trap game.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
7 years 2 months ago #11396 by hairyhawk
I agree with your statement about Monday completely. I heard a TV commentator say something smart about that the other day. I bet your think no way a TV commentator said anything smart but I thought this was. Maybe my scale is a little off. He mentioned that the Big XII has 3 teams at the top, KU, Baylor, and WVU and then a bunch of middle teams but it has no bottom teams in the league. I think that is very true of the league this year. There are no easy games in the league. If we lose to any of the other teams, besides the other top 2 teams, it still is not a big upset because those other teams are capable.

More
7 years 2 months ago #11399 by porthawk
I'm sure I'm missing something, KMT, but what breather game are you talking about? I ask, b/c after Baylor, we play on Wednesday at home against TCU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KMT

More
7 years 2 months ago #11403 by hairyhawk
D'oh ! I had not checked the schedule. I was just guessing the next game was not against the other 2 top 3 because we have played both twice. I knew the next game after Baylor was a non-top three team so I did not look which day we played. Probably the same weakness that caused me to get so frustrated on Monday to give up on the Hawks. Obviously I have a lot to learn from the great people on this board,

• KMT
More
7 years 2 months ago #11408 by KMT
ALL - chalk* it up to too many Saturday/Monday turnarounds - I assumed, incorrectly (again as my wife would say) that we were playing TCU on Monday.

My bad - hence the "Junior Member" status...except I'm frickin' old!

But...still worried about TCU.

*see what i did there...dork alert

More
7 years 2 months ago #11409 by porthawk
No worries at all, KMT! Just wanted to clarify.

• KMT
More
7 years 2 months ago #11410 by KMT
thanks for the heads-up/correction...I'm seriously programmed to Saturday/Monday games.

Rock Chalk!

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
7 years 2 months ago #11417 by HawkErrant
KMT -- good practice for the NCAAT!

RCJHKU!

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

More
7 years 2 months ago #11420 by NotOstertag
Agreed that the middle section of our conference season has been fairly relentless, so our success shines even brighter to me. The most important thing is that we have built up some "house money" that we can afford to give back to the dealers if we bust on a hand or two. Baylor and WVU have each made unforced errors which have backed them into corners, where we have made fewer and find ourselves in the drivers seat.

Didn't expect this when I looked at the schedule, but I'm proud of the guys for getting to this point.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

More
7 years 2 months ago #11422 by NotOstertag
Just looking back at that stretch, it's pretty incredible. With the exception of hosting Texas (which any other year is pretty tough) there wasn't one "cupcake" in the stretch. Even @KSU and @Tech are tough wins this year. Throw in @Kensucky just for the fun of it, and it's downright brutal.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot