Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Feeling wistful

• NYCJayhawk
  • NYCJayhawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
7 years 2 months ago #11380 by NYCJayhawk
Last night may have been the game that pushed it over the top for me: I am going to miss Frank Mason more than any KU player from the past. This kid has grown into everything I think Jayhawk basketball is about. Heart, courage, and love of the game...he has all of those things in spades. This team will go as far this year as Frank carries them, and I hope that's at least the Final Four, but I'm going to enjoy the rest of the ride with his senior season, and I suspect let a few tears leak out on Senior Night.

I hope the NBA gives him a shot, because I'd love to watch him take the league by storm too, but regardless where he ends up, I love that guy wholeheartedly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, Bayhawk, murphyslaw, Rosie19, newtonhawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
7 years 2 months ago #11381 by Bayhawk
So true and well said,

RC :)

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet

More
7 years 2 months ago #11382 by Bayhawk
Damnititall, there went my self imposed ban for the week.

But I can't stay away!

I do however, promise to never doubt our Jayhawks again,

RC

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet

More
7 years 2 months ago #11383 by murphyslaw
I echo your sentiments, NYCJayhawk. Although we've had several wonderful point guards with remarkable talent and character, until Frank Mason, my favorite was always Vaughn.

His last year as a Jayhawk will leave us saddened by his absence yet feeling so privileged at having watched him lead our 'Hawks.

I pray his future in the NBA is successful and that he is on a team whose games are frequently televised!
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
7 years 2 months ago #11386 by HawkErrant

Bayhawk wrote: Damnititall, there went my self imposed ban for the week.

But I can't stay away!

I do however, promise to never doubt our Jayhawks again,

RC

When in danger, or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout... but NEVER GIVE UP!

Whatever their failings, these guys of ours never give up.
How could we let them down by doing so ourselves?

ROCK CHALK!

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk

More
7 years 2 months ago #11391 by NotOstertag
Agree 1000%. I looked at the draft boards today and am not sure how often they're updated. Josh is #3, Devonte is deep in the 2nd round, and Frank was nowhere to be seen. Kind of blows my mind that a leading candidate for POY isn't even on the list. Who knows, maybe it'll change.

Frank's pretty small for the NBA, but that's not without precedent. As I've mentioned before, if I were an NBA general manager and needed a backup point guard, I think somebody who's as relentless and hard working as Frank would be a great option to roll the dice on. What's the downside? He can handle the ball exceptionally well, run the offense, pass, and plays with extreme heart.

The only downside would be that at his size, larger NBA guards could likely shoot over him. Is that the big issue?

Anyway, I'd love to see him make it to the next level. In any case, he'll be able to make a nice living overseas if it doesn't work out.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #11392 by porthawk
I posted this a few days ago, but just because it connects, I'll share the link again. I read the hard copy of this article (about 5'9" NBA PG Isaiah Thomas) in last week's SI. Would love for Frank to have this kind of career trajectory in the NBA.
www.si.com/nba/2017/02/07/isaiah-thomas-...-ticket-brad-stevens
Last Edit: 7 years 2 months ago by porthawk.