Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Self-imposed time out from posting.

• Bayhawk
  • Bayhawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 2 months ago #11356 by Bayhawk
This will be my last post until the weekend as part of a court ordered sentence imposed on me for turning off the game with two and a half minutes left and going to bed. Cal Bear wife came home with a cold last week and, of course, I got it. Last night, sitting there with tissue stuffed in my nose, I didn't have the energy to scream at the TV. Even if I did, Cal Bear wife had gone to bed early. The pain was just too much in my condition so I did the unthinkable. I threw in the towel. :(

A fitful night had me wake up repeatedly with a small dose of how I feel after we lose our "final" game of the year.

This morning I made coffee and turned on my phone to read an email from Don about the RCC winner (congrats Spudmeister!). I had to read it several times before I rushed to the TV to find the recorded game. What a maroooooooon I was to give up! I then raced to the computer to read posts from beloved RCZ friends HE and Konza63 (great pix!!!) who not only were at the game, but stuck it out without a doubt.

Now, typing with tissue in my nose, I feel worse for being a bad Jayhawk than this damn cold. I am not worthy. :unsure:

To my credit, this is the only game I "threw in the towel." Glad to say Frank, my man DG, LL, JJ, and Svi (tip o' the cap to Vick) didn't give up.

So, until Saturday I will lurk and enjoy your posts vicariously. And this I vow: I will NEVER doubt our team ever again no matter what. It's not over until the . . . lady of large stature sings!

RCA&F

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, gorillahawk, texkan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
7 years 2 months ago #11358 by NotOstertag
tsk tsk tsk. I'll give you a pass this time due to illness.

I usually call my dad back in KC before games and during halftime. He's 80, so I don't usually call him after late games since he's often asleep. Meanwhile, my college freshman son (goes to Ithaca College) has been to AFH, understands my Jayhawk insanity, but isn't a big sports fan.

So last night with about 30 seconds left in the game, my phone starts ringing. It's 11pm, so I know that it's some idiot friend of mine who probably stumbled across the game and is calling to bust my chops. Anybody with any sense would know better than to call at that moment.

Lo and behold, it's my son who's streaming the game from his dorm, and of course he asks, "are watching this?!?!"

"Yes, and why the hell are you calling me while this is happening right now?!?" was my fatherly reply.

Anyway, it was nice to hear from my kid and have him get interested. After the game, I placed a 3 way call with my dad and my son, so we had a little 3 generation celebration on the phone. Probably the best part of the night for me.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, HawkErrant, JRhawk, Bayhawk, gorillahawk, porthawk, texkan

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
7 years 2 months ago #11360 by HawkErrant
Oh, Bay, there was doubt in abundance, but there was also a glimmer of hope that was fanned into a flame! It was an insane hope, befitting the insanity to come. The crowd was going crazy as the Jayhawks slashed and clawed their way back, and we were among the craziest, high fives all around with every stop and steal and basket and made free throw until suddenly the death sentence was postponed and then thrown out of The Phog as the Jayhawk Nation "Parliamented" the Ol' Barn ("Tear the Roof Off the Sucker!")

During the pause before the beginning of OT Konza63 asked "Remember your Yogi Berra?", and in unison we both quoted "It ain't over until it's over!" That led to me recalling how growing up one of my favorite fictional characters was Edgar Rice Burroughs Tarzan of the Apes, and how Philip Jose Farmer wrote a "biography" of John Clayton, Lord Greystoke that included a family crest with a motto that translated "I Still Live!" Konza63 replied with a smile "It fits!"

Konza63 kept saying "This can't happen with both of us here!" and I was telling him that I could not recall ever being present in AFH at a Jayhawk loss, and we both were thinking how if KU lost the RCB collective would ban us from ever seeing a game together again! Thankfully, sure an atrocity still has never happened!

Oh what a night! Mid February in '17! What a very special time to be
Jayhawks fans like you and me!

You get well, Bay, a big RCB best to Cal Bear Wife, and keep that KU flag flying high over the north Bay! The Jayhawk Nation is gonna need all your Left Koast Karma when our Hawks venture into the cave of the Fluorescent Bears this Saturday!

ROCK CHALK, BAYHAWK!

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, Bayhawk, gorillahawk, jayhawk969, texkan, murphyslaw, newtonhawk

• HawkErrant
More
7 years 2 months ago #11361 by HawkErrant
Great story, NotO, thanks for sharing!

ROCK CHALK!

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

More
7 years 2 months ago #11366 by hairyhawk
I deserve it more than you. I gave up last night as well and I was not even sick. I just let Mr. Vitale annoy me mainly because of the score so much I had to turn it off. We were into our comeback when I turned it off. I am so glad our players had much more faith than I did. I am so happy that the good guys won.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, Bayhawk, gorillahawk

• texkan
  • Ring my Bell, if you can find it! ;)
More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #11367 by texkan
...NZ bush, i think. She had the game on her sat dish! there was a lot of noise in the background, i asked from what? Something about a Tasmanian devil circle their campfire? ;P well it was special, on of our top five all time comebacks. oh, and when the knock on the door happened, it was the local JCCP officer; and he just said, are you watching a KU bkb game? When i said of course; he just smiled an left! oh these new neighbors... :) they'll learn, teehee thank you, ku hipsters and phans, texkan and family :P
Last Edit: 7 years 2 months ago by texkan. Reason: we like it
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, Bayhawk

More
7 years 2 months ago #11372 by NotOstertag
Vitale drove me crazy as well. I did, however, agree with him calling out the early exits from AFH.

I kept thinking, "we finally got rid of Musberger....when is it your turn, Dickie V?"

Regarding the early exiters, I wonder if that was any kind of motivator for the team. If they had lost, I think it would have been something that HCBS could have used this week. At the time, I don't know if there was even any time to acknowledge it happening to the team, much less use if for a pep talk.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #11379 by porthawk
...were talking about the people exiting early as well. They were pretty much all in agreement that you don't leave the game until the final buzzer rings...b/c there's always a chance your team can come back. Woody Paige said he was confused by the fact that people will hangout in the parking lot for 3 hours before the game, but can't stay an extra few minutes until it ends. And Israel Gutierrez said that ever since Ray Allen's shot for the Heat in 2013 to send the game to OT in the NBA Finals, there have been a seemingly larger number of these improbable comebacks....all the more reason to stay 'til the end.
Last Edit: 7 years 2 months ago by porthawk.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

More
7 years 2 months ago #11384 by LKF_HAWK
I stayed up in Trinidad and Tobago which is 2 hrs ahead of AFH. For 37 minutes it was as quiet as a wake, then in honor of steel pan music and Carnival I started jumping up and down and was politely asked to quiet down by the hotel staff. Fat chance, RCJHGKU..this team fights their tail off..

• HawkErrant
More
7 years 2 months ago #11387 by HawkErrant
Are you living in T&T these days, or just visiting? (From the mention of the hotel, I infer the latter).

I have an old TAMU chum -- now in FL -- from there, and have yet to get down there with him on one of his trips home. One of my "bucket list" items.

Our guys are indeed pit bulls. They never let go until they have either won or (very rarely) been put down.

Enjoy the music and Carnival with some crimson and blue clothes and/or accoutrements, LKF!

RCJHKU!

More
7 years 2 months ago #11390 by LKF_HAWK
.You are correct good sir, I am in country on a business trip that ends today. HE, you definitely need to visit your friend in T&T. Suggest you stay at the Trinidad Hilton, an upside down hotel. It had been so long since I last visited, I had forgotten how beautiful & amazing the country and its culture are. Try some "doubles", "shark and bake" and "rotis".

As for KU, they are not pretty but they are gritty.

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
7 years 2 months ago #11415 by konza63
What was Vitale like, btw? Bet it was nauseating to hear him as WVU built to that 14-point lead. Curious how he handled the insane comeback and ultimate victory...

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.

• HawkErrant
More
7 years 2 months ago #11416 by HawkErrant
Konza63: What was Vitale like?

K, that is such an interesting question. Others have recorded that they turned down the Vol to ignore him, he was so bad.

I am not a DV fan, as you know. But I must say, watching the recording today knowing the outcome -- and thus not stressed to the max to begin with before factoring in DV -- I was impressed with his surprisingly even handed coverage. Actually some of his best I can recall in recent years. He did compliment WVU left and right as they controlled the game, but he was also very fond in his commentary on KU. And starting with the W&C folks leaving, he preached not giving up on these great KU kids AND/OR underestimating the impact of The Phog. While he did comment on WVU collapsing against the KU press and then leaving the doors open by missing FTs, he focused more on the incredible comeback by KU, and predicting that if it went to OT KU would win.

All in all, for my money it was some of his best work in years.

The following user(s) said Thank You: jayhawk969