Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

A few pics from AFH

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #11350 by HawkErrant
Konza63 and me (on the right) at Allen Fieldhouse for the 2017-02-13 WVU game.

A selfie after the game, trying (and failing) to capture the scoreboard, but totally capturing our delight!

(Note to Konza -- man, I look *way* too old in this pic, you got to do a better job next time, bro!)

As Konza noted on fb -- "Turn out the lights, the party's over..." (with thanks to Willie Nelson )

One last pic, this one by yours truly -- Home from Allen Fieldhouse with some of the clothes worn at the 2027-02-13 WVU game, the Scotch decanter that provided the celebratory toast (a birthday present from my son), and my official record of having participated in providing the Loudest Crowd Roar for an Indoor Sport Event for the Guinness Book of World Records -- 130.4 decibels! ROCK CHALK!

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
Last Edit: 7 years 2 months ago by HawkErrant.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JRhawk, sasnak, gorillahawk, porthawk, murphyslaw, KMT, jaythawk1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• HawkErrant
More
7 years 2 months ago #11351 by HawkErrant
I will wear it to games in the future, but it will NOT be on top of my head once the game has started. Nope, it's gonna be tucked under my belt behind my back, right where it was for the last 5 minutes of regulation and all of the overtime!

Yeah, yeah, I know, but what if it really did make a difference?
That and the humming Ol' Barn... it was sh-sh-sh-sh-sh-sh-sh-shakin'!

KU!

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

• HawkErrant
More
7 years 2 months ago #11353 by HawkErrant
... the Guinness World Record participant certificate.
ROCK CHALK!

The following user(s) said Thank You: sasnak, Bayhawk, KMT, jaythawk1

• hairyhawk
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 2 months ago #11363 by hairyhawk
What a nice game to have been a part of. Nice of you to share here as well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63

• HawkErrant
More
7 years 2 months ago #11364 by HawkErrant
Our pleasure, hairy! Glad you enjoy them!

ROCK CHALK!

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #11412 by konza63
That was definitely a night I shall never, EVER forget.

As I said to Eric after the game, at the 3-minute mark of the end of regulation, it was the most depressing KU performance I'd ever witnessed live at the Barn. But a scant few minutes later, it became by far the greatest! Incredible...

Last comment: I had to fly into the area last Friday because my 81-year-old mother had a stroke (and heart clot they subsequently found). This explains why I've sadly been so absent from the board the past week, including the glorious aftermath of the WVU game. I hope and trust you all understand, and pledge to be back soon.

My mom is doing better, btw, and on Monday was discharged from the hospital. With family members to watch her that night, it gave me the chance to be spontaneous and ask Eric if he'd be up for going to the big game. Around 10 pm that night, he might have been regretting it. By 11, he was on a supreme natural high--as was I!!! So glad to have gotten to do it...

Rock Chalk...

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
Last Edit: 7 years 2 months ago by konza63.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, Rosie19, Wheatstate Gal

• hairyhawk
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 2 months ago #11442 by hairyhawk
Amazing the way the world turns. I hope your mom continues to do well and hopefully you can bring the Hawks more good luck in the future.

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 2 months ago #11446 by Wheatstate Gal
Best wishes for continued improvement for K63 mom and grandma!
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #11482 by konza63
Thank you, kind RCB friends and family, for the well-wishes for my Mom ("Mamaw Jayhawk").

I just left her yesterday to return back to my wife and kids in northern VA. She is doing fairly well, all things considered, but has a long way to go. The stroke damage mainly affected her speech, writing, simple math skills, and sharp, fast thinking. It was sad to experience because she's smart as a whip and she's going to have to relearn how to think, speak and write as an adult. ? But we got her set up with outstanding therapists (including a wonderful speech pathologist who learned her trade at beloved KU).

She sufferered no physical disability or dexterity damage, which is good. But she has a heart clot condition that will require a stent operation in 4-6 weeks, so that will be a bit traumatic.

Once I hit the ground in KC, I never stopped working on helping her recover, knowing that the first week after could prove pivotal. My one break was to get to go to Lawrence and share that other-worldly WVU game experience with my longtime good friend Eric, of "HawkErrant" fame. It was incredibly therapeutic, and I want to personally thank him for being there at all times throughout this tough ordeal.

It's not easy having parents and loved ones get older! And get older ourselves, lol)

Rock Chalk, go Hawks...

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
Last Edit: 7 years 2 months ago by konza63.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 2 months ago #11491 by Wheatstate Gal
Healing thoughts headed Mamaw's way!

Rock Chalk!