Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

I have no words

• NYCJayhawk
  • NYCJayhawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
7 years 2 months ago #11321 by NYCJayhawk
What an astonishing comeback!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: KMT

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #11323 by OreadExpress
Wasn't it? I had to quit watching and go to the radio so I did not see it, but I enjoyed hearing every moment. Crazy... Ranks right up there with The great comebacks... UCLA... MIzzou...etc.
Last Edit: 7 years 2 months ago by OreadExpress.

• NYCJayhawk
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
7 years 2 months ago #11328 by NYCJayhawk
I admit I was feeling pretty down after coming home from watching yet another Nets loss, and turning on the TV and seeing the Jayhawks down just gutted me. I was this close at the 5 minute mark to turning it off...and am damn glad I didn't!

More
7 years 2 months ago #11330 by MountainHawk
Holy sht! I thought you guys were kidding. I admit my Phog faith was lacking today: some days you can’t toss a rock into Potter Lake. I had turned off the radio. BU lost so the good guys were still on top. You can’t win them all etc... The Fieldhouse must have been crushingly loud. Holy sht!
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, texkan

• NYCJayhawk
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
7 years 2 months ago #11333 by NYCJayhawk
There was a parade of so-called fans leaving early. It was the one thing I liked about Vitale tonight: he called them all out for it!

More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #11334 by DrJHawker
Off hand I can't remember I game where I felt so disappointed and so proud of the team in a single ballgame. We just didn't seem to have it together tonight, WVU appeared to totally have us dominated and I'd all but given up when were were down by 14 at 2:45. In fact I switched to the bedroom TV to listen to the game in background while I got ready for bed. So glad I left it on. What a gutsy, hard fought, never say die win. Devonte and Frank lived up to their hype in that last 2:45 of regulation and in the OT. They both really stepped up. It was really a great end of the game performance.

We are now clearly in the driver's seat for our 13th straight title.
Last Edit: 7 years 2 months ago by DrJHawker.

• NYCJayhawk
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
7 years 2 months ago #11335 by NYCJayhawk
Beat Baylor and I think 13 is a lock!

More
7 years 2 months ago #11337 by KMT
agreed - my friends just left.

we sacrificed half a bottle of roughstock bourbon from Montana and enjoyed every minute...even though some sucked. Period!

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
7 years 2 months ago #11339 by HawkErrant
AFH *was* crushingly loud, so loud that we officially hit 130 db at the start of the game and I would wager we surpassed that in the last two minutes and the OT! What a comeback! Can't wait to sit down and watch the recording, but must wait until tomorrow. Konza63 and I left AFH totally drained when it was over. The Old Barn hummed with life tonight. K and I were up in 2A heaven, and every time we stood up I placed my hand on the girder above me and soaked it in. What a night! One for the ages. Home now, and K should be back at his mom's place in Basehor by now. >sigh< It's a *good* tired...

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: KMT

More
7 years 2 months ago #11340 by KMT
ESPN undersold it too...lame ass headline of "Jayhawks rally to beat WVU in OT"

seriously, this was one of the best comebacks in a long time. 2:45 left and 14 down...a "rally"

More
7 years 2 months ago #11343 by LSHawk
Ha, our season ticket seats are in 2A just the other side of the girder you refer to...on row 33...

• HawkErrant
More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #11344 by HawkErrant
We were in Row 32, seats 21 and 22!

Sorry we missed you, LSHawk!

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
Last Edit: 7 years 2 months ago by HawkErrant.

More
7 years 2 months ago #11359 by NotOstertag
The subject line really says it all. Impossible to describe what happened last night, and I would have loved to have been in the building.

So ugly for 37 1/2 minutes. So beautiful for 7 1/2.

I'm not sure which is more impressive: our comeback or WVU's total collapse. When we started pressing them they had NOTHING to answer with. We had everything go right, and it seemed that everything went so completely WRONG for them. Talk about a long bus ride home to Morgantown (ok, it was probably a plane, but you get the drift).

We're in VERY good shape to win #13, and WVU has pretty much taken themselves off the board now down 3 with 5 left to play.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

• NYCJayhawk
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
7 years 2 months ago #11368 by NYCJayhawk
I am SO JEALOUS of all of you who got to be there in person for this one!!

• HawkErrant
More
7 years 2 months ago #11369 by HawkErrant
So glad we went, NYC! It was a totally last minute thing, found a decent price for girder caressing seats on StubHub and suffered immensely before joyously celebrating like madmen in the Ol' Barn.

(Contrary to spurious and specious reports going around, I did NOT plant a big kiss on AFH -- but only because after caressing the big blue girder above me in thanks for all The Phog, I was too busy high fiving and taking pix and talking about what an incredible comeback, a game for the ages, we had just been privileged to experience inside the hallowed halls of our venerable building.)

More
7 years 2 months ago #11371 by NotOstertag
...and what about Coleby?!? Guy comes in for 10 seconds, plays some "grown man" defense and damn near destroys a backboard on a dunk. Lightfoot too. 2 blocks in a couple seconds of action. Lightfoot's got plenty of time to develop. I feel bad for Coleby because he clearly has some impressive skills, but hasn't had much of an opportunity to show them off. When Coleby dunked, I told Landon (through the TV of course) "THAT is what we need you to do down low." Not sure if he hear me, but the dog looked at me in agreement.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

More
7 years 2 months ago #11378 by porthawk
...as it was awesome! I know HCBS sees a lot more than we fans do, but to me, it seems like DC does a solid job when he's in the game. I'm surprised that he doesn't play more...especially b/c we're so thin up front.

More
7 years 2 months ago #11388 by LSHawk
Did you go see the Rules?

• HawkErrant
More
7 years 2 months ago #11389 by HawkErrant
The rules -- got there later than planned, and with game going OT did not get to see them. Konza63 expects to be in area until Friday, we hope to get over to see them before he leaves.

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #11413 by konza63
Eric and I saw a few of those quitters down below from our nosebleed perch. My comment to him: "there go the Johnson County wine and cheese fans."

(Hat tip to Ole Roy for that once-great comment)

PS: KU fans should never leave early. The Barn has magical powers. Like causing a foe to drop an uncontested rebound and lose it out of bounds, with no KU player nearby, at a pivotal point in the game. :-)

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
Last Edit: 7 years 2 months ago by konza63.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant